Newbie Problems!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chriscotterill

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

Hopefully someone can help.

Last week I decided to buy a tank for my little boy [he's 2] because he loves fish. I settled on a 30L tank [Fluo 30 I think]. This was recommended at my local garden centre aquarium shop. I got a filter and heater with it [Aqua Flow 50 Filter and a 50W Nana Heater].

I've tried to follow instructions to the letter and had the tank setup for a week before adding any fish. Heater was set to 26 degrees and I treated the water after filling with both tap water conditioner [day of filling] and Bio Boost for the first 3 days.

I added fish yesterday [6 Neon Tetras, c.1.5cm each and 3 Guppies about 2cm each]. These were recommended from the shop as perfect for the setup. I introduced them to the tank as per instructions by floating them on top in the bags for a few minutes and then slowly introducing tank water over about an hour before letting them out.

24 hours later and all 9 fish have died. All the neons were dead this morning and have been closely followed by the guppies.

I've been out today and bought a test kit and [apart from removing all the dead fish] left everything else the same.

The readings were:
NO3 c.100mg/l
NO2 c.1mg/l
GH 8oD
KH 10oD
PH c.8
CL2 0

I'm brand new to this but from the test kit looks like the nitrates are high at 100mg/l. I also bought a thermometer to stick on the side of the tank and it was reading between 23-24 degrees so it looks like the heater wasn't heating as much as it should have.

Could the slightly colder water and that level of nitrates have been enough to kill all the fish?

In terms of next steps, shall I completely change the water, rinse all the substrate out and essentially start again? Add the Bio Boost and water conditioner and in a week or so try and introduce fish? I don't want the same thing to happen again -a) It's clearly not good for the fish and b) It's hard to explain to a 2 year old!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Best to start again, I had mine set up for 5 weeks before adding fish, and you may need a more powerful heater, I personally prefer digital thermometers because they are more accurate, you should always test the water before adding fish too, there is really no point adding conditioners or boosters until you know if you need to use them mate, trial and error is good but testing before adding may save a few fishes lives and some of your time.

Sounds like you are doing everything right, excellent filtration, temperature okay, except your choice of fish.
Neon tetras and guppies are too fragile for a new cycling tank. Might be better to start with tougher fish like zebra fish or tiger barbs, that can survive the cycle spikes. Only put in a few of those and feed them sparingly.
Not a good idea to drain the tank or scrub the decor and filter. It's best to let it alone and let nature balance things out.
Your first 20% water change should occur in about a month. Clean your A.C. filter once every two weeks once the tank cycles. All you really have to do to clean it is squeeze the filter sponge out in your water change bucket using some old tank water.
Might be better to obtain fish tank information from the AA members rather than from your local fish store employees.
Relax, you will get it all down soon and then it will be fun.
Hope this helps.

Sounds like you are doing everything right, excellent filtration, temperature okay, except your choice of fish.
Neon tetras and guppies are too fragile for a new cycling tank. Might be better to start with tougher fish like zebra fish or tiger barbs, that can survive the cycle spikes. Only put in a few of those and feed them sparingly.
Not a good idea to drain the tank or scrub the decor and filter. It's best to let it alone and let nature balance things out.
Your first 20% water change should occur in about a month. Clean your A.C. filter once every two weeks once the tank cycles. All you really have to do to clean it is squeeze the filter sponge out in your water change bucket using some old tank water.
Might be better to obtain fish tank information from the AA members rather than from your local fish store employees.
Relax, you will get it all down soon and then it will be fun.
Hope this helps.

Thanks,

I've been reading a few bits and pieces and might leave the tank as is, add some Tetra Safe Start and then get some more fish in!

Will do some reading on small, hard water friendly tougher fish too!

Hi Chris, Welcome to the community!!! What a wonderful idea for the fostering of love and developing an appreciation of living things for your little son!

In my signature is an article link for Getting Started and it is a must read mini book on what you need to know.

That said, a couple things might not be noticed by the mention above of your tank. You said 30L which is approx. 8G (not 30G) so the heater would be fine.

One ideal inhabitant for a tank like that would be a beautiful Betta.

Neon Tetras are better suited to a 10G or larger, and a wide tank rather than a tall tank as they are fish which enjoy swimming across the tank and a small tank like that may be too small for an ideal life.

There are many nano fish choices.

Also you can look up Dwarf Shrimp and although not a fish, they are pretty cool.

There is a fish-in cycling article link in the article for getting started, regarding already having fish and one which is doing a fish in cycle.

For a Betta, it is not very tough to do, but daily attention is required.

Check out the info!!!

Thanks all for the advice - very well appreciated given I don't have a clue!

Here's where I am at:

- I've just changed all the water and essentially started again. Given the tank has only been filled for a week and all the fish introduced have died I didn't think there was much benefit to trying to keep it going!
- I've added some tap water conditioner as per recommended amount but nothing else
- Filter and Heater running again. Heater currently set at about 25 degrees

Next steps:

- I'm going to get some Tetra Safe Start and hopefully an API Freshwater Master kit
- It looks like you should add fish a couple of hours after introducing the TSS so I'll leave the tank probably until next weekend and then look to add some fish
- I'll add the TSS as per the instructions and later the same day add new fish.

Still happy for recommendations for the best small fish [300mmx300mm 30L tank] in hard water. Think I'll be looking for less than the 9 that went in last time!

I'll post test results once I've got the kit towards the end of the week, before I think about adding fish [or TSS].

Chris

You could also try livebearers. One that comes to mind for that size is Least Killifish. There are other live beers that would work in size too. You and your son could watch fry grow up and have fry if their own. I know Least Killifish don't eat fry.

Back
Top Bottom