newbie question on mixing salt.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i just bought some red sea salt and was wondering what the general guidline is for salt:water to get the proper specific gravity. i did about 1 cup of salt for every 5 gallons. i am going to go check it out now to see what kind fo SG it gives me. i searched online but just couldnt seem to find a guidline for it.

I know I use oceanic. I have to use 1/2 a cup for every gallon but I guess they are all different. The directions should be on the container it came in I would hope.

i didnt see any. thats why i was asking. i am gonna go check the SG again and retest in the morning. if i need to add a bit more salt i will. guess i just gotta play untill i get it right.

I'm not too sure what my ratio is. I just fill up my bucket add 5 cups of salt and let the ph/heater aerate the water for at least 24 hours. Once you do it a few times, you'll get the hang of it. My first PWC was a huge mess! LOL!

roka64 said:
Once you do it a few times, you'll get the hang of it. My first PWC was a huge mess! LOL!

Whatever problems we have and the learning curve, it still beats going to the LFS and toting SW around.

alright so in general its about 1/2 per gallon. thats kinda what i needeed to know. i honestly had absolutly no idea whatsoever. i didnt know if it was 1 cup or 20 for a 15 gal tank. thanks evryone.

The way I figured it out was add water, I started with 3 cups of salt, waited an hour and tested, then added another cup, waited another hour and saw how much of a difference that made, then I went from there. Basically start with a little and see how much it rises with each cup, just remember to give it time to dissolve.

I always try to under use so if it under all you do is add some more salt but if over then you have to add water and if the bucket or tank is full then you have to take SW out and add FW which is a headache.

Back
Top Bottom