Newbie questions, need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobbieHadley

Aquarium Advice Freak
Newbie to the planted tank world. I had a question on substrate to start. I know there are a lot of opinions on the "best" substrate, and after doing some reading and looking around, I think I have settled with Eco Complete Fine Grade. My question is, should I just do Eco, or should I cap it with something like Tahitian Moon Sand?

It looks nice to cap with sand but, at least with the regular Eco, it s lighter than the sand so eventually it works it s way to the surface. So use the same color of both if you want a solid color substrate.

Ok cool thanks!
I have a 10 gal tank and I'm shooting for low to mid light plants. Im using the hood that comes with the 10 gal Aqueon kits, took out the incandescent lights and switched with two 10 watt bulbs, but was told that was aimed more at low. what total wattage should I shoot for for mid lights in a 10 gal set up? Ive also got a 24 inch Fixture that takes 18 inch bulbs that I can use, I just need to know the wattage I need for low and mid light plants

Go to the Freshwater planted section. There are several 'stickies' to read on getting started, including one on lights. But, I wanna say to shoot for 6500k.

Go to the Freshwater planted section. There are several 'stickies' to read on getting started, including one on lights. But, I wanna say to shoot for 6500k.

Yea Ive been using it for the most part, and its been pretty helpful. There is an article in there on lighting, and from it I found the watt per gallon rule, and in it it says that 1 wpg is low, 2 wpg is mod and 3 wpg is high. Well if I have 2 10 watt fluorescents, that totals 20 watts, putting me in the 2 wpg for a 10 gal tank, but in another thread, I was told it was considered low light and would only be able to grow low light plants. Thats why I asked again, to get more clarification.

Back
Top Bottom