Newbie ready to make a purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kuhnini

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As I said in my "Member Introduction" post. I will be going out this weekend to purchase a 40 gal freshwater setup. I feel pretty comfortable with everything I have written down on my "to get" list but I'm still wondering a bit about my filter. I planned on getting an Aqua Clear 50 Hang on the back (HOB) but would like the membership's thoughts on whether I should get one higher than a 50. Thoughts?

Edit: I should probably say that I am fast approaching the top end of my budget. I realize if money was no object that higher than a 50 would be nice, but do I NEED to put more money in a more powerful filter?

What type of fish do you plan on stocking? Have you considered purchasing aq supplies off of Amazon? Amazons prices are signifigantly cheaper than the any lfs.

My favorites are the tetra family. Back in the day I really enjoyed an active school of neon tetras. Also I got really attached to my ugly Plecostomus. He came in handy to talk to when I bombed a test back in college. Other than that I'm open for suggestions.

Yes I have visited Amazon and have noticed their very good prices. I will probably still use my LFS due to where I work. My workplace has it's own franchise territory and is very involved in the local community so we like to practice buying off of the businesses in our local community since they are the ones who purchase our products. No offense to those who use online sites to make purchases. I completely understand but I choose not to do so.

Thats great that you support your community! Ok, bare in mind this is just my opinion here, but I would opt for a slightly larger filter if you can afford it. AC50's run at 200gph, AC70s run at 300gph. If you dont plan on stocking heavily with messy fish, the 50 will probably get the job done but its always wise to be bit more substantially filtered than underfiltered. Im sure others will have input as well! Good luck with your new tank! :)

Thanks for the advice. I plan on following it. There is still a bit of room in the budget and I think it should go to the AC70. I appreciate the feedback!

check amazon for an ac70. they are half off and you can get free shipping. when i bought my ac50 i got it for about $40 off store price. keep us updated.

Ok folks, here's what I have on paper as my wife and I head out tomorrow to get our supplies.

40 gal long tank
Aquaclear 70 filter
Aqueon Submersible Heater 150 watts
Aqueon Fluorescent Hood
Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer
API Freshwater Master Test Kit
Glass Thermometer with suction cup
Bottle of Seachem Prime

and now for the biggy. I've decided to try it...a bottle of pure ammonia to begin my FISHLESS cycle. Tough decision because I want fish really bad and really soon but I think this could be fun.

Also here is my goal for stocking.

5 Serpae Tetra
6 Panda Cory
1 Red Tailed Black Shark
1 Male Swordtail
3 Dwarf Loach
5 Pearl Danio

I won't be adding these all at once.

Someone please tell me I can fit a Plecostomus in to the mix. I would really like one but I'm not sure about my tank size.

Feel free to comment and give suggestions. I've been out of the fish hobby for about 30 years so I really don't know what I'm doing. No one will hurt my feelings if I'm "all wet" here. :ROFLMAO:

I wish I could help you with stocking but I am a coldwater girl. I do know common plecos get HUGE. I believe there are some smaller varieties though. Hopefully, someone will chime in on your possible stocking!

If you want a Pleco get something like a bristle nose, rubber lip, or clown that will only get five inches. IMO common Plecos belong in either tanks 120 gallons or larger or a pond. Just a reminder, many kinds of plecos require driftwood in their diet so always research the species before you buy. Good Luck! :)

Thanks for the reminder about the driftwood and for the other kinds of plecos!

I know you have your mind on the AC70 but check out the Fluval C Series of HOB filters. I have an AC on my older tank and still love it, but I just got the Fluval C2 for my new setup and I find it to be superior. They are both made by Hagen and are very similar. However, for not much more in price you can get an updated and more refined AC (so to speak). The C4 should be the AC70 equivalent.

Oh for Plecos, check out the starry night. Otherwise, just go with some otocinclus cats... They're great at algae eating and dont have a large bioload as plecos.

Pitbull Plecos stay very small. If you plan on Cories think about using smooth sand instead of gravel. You can get it pretty cheap.
You can use Pool Filter Sand (White) or Black Diamond Sand Blasting Sand (Black). I topped my blasting sand with a layer of pretty Tahitian Moon Sand.

2-3 inches of sand and it will also grow plants :)

40Breeder tanks are great for plants. Low enough to get plenty of light. Just saying ;)

Great stuff folks! Thanks for all of the advice and ideas. Decisions, decisions, decisions! Today is the the big day...goin' shoppin'!

Hi and welcome! My replies below in blue....

Ok folks, here's what I have on paper as my wife and I head out tomorrow to get our supplies.

40 gal long tank - nice choice!
Aquaclear 70 filter - good! you can never have too much filtration. It's recommended to have double the filtration for your size tank, but an AC 70 would be good. In the future you can always upgrade or add a second filter.
Aqueon Submersible Heater 150 watts - yep
Aqueon Fluorescent Hood yep
Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer yep (I have one, it's great)
API Freshwater Master Test Kit (y)
Glass Thermometer with suction cup (y)
Bottle of Seachem Prime (y) (y)

and now for the biggy. I've decided to try it...a bottle of pure ammonia to begin my FISHLESS cycle. Tough decision because I want fish really bad and really soon but I think this could be fun.
Good choice! It's a process but worth it in the end. We're here to help so feel free to post your progress along the way. If you wanted to jumpstart it, try to get some seeded media from a healthy established tank. Or you can buy an "active" filter from these guys; they've helped many on here cycle their tanks, myself included. Just make sure you get an "active" one or else you're just getting a plain filter.

Also here is my goal for stocking.

5 Serpae Tetra
6 Panda Cory
1 Red Tailed Black Shark - probably ok in a 40 long, but not sure;
1 Male Swordtail
3 Dwarf Loach
5 Pearl Danio - Celestial pearl danio? If so, these guys are VERY small and can be shy with larger tankmates (I have them); plus the shark will most likely see them as food.

I won't be adding these all at once.

Someone please tell me I can fit a Plecostomus in to the mix. I would really like one but I'm not sure about my tank size. A smaller one like a Bristlenose would work, avoid the larger ones like Commons.

Feel free to comment and give suggestions. I've been out of the fish hobby for about 30 years so I really don't know what I'm doing. No one will hurt my feelings if I'm "all wet" here. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: jlk
What are you planning on for substrate? as previously mentioned, if you want cories should have smmoth gravel or sand!!. Good luck and keep us posted. Everyone here will help you along the way.

Hi, Just a thing I have heard is that the Danio species are very hardy and would make great fish for cycling in the tank.
As for your swordtails and shark. In my experience I had a velvet red tail since day one, of my set up, brought home a shark 3 weeks later and they didn't see things eye to eye.. I no longer have my swordtail :(

Back
Top Bottom