Newbie that needs some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swatcats

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am new to the forum and a fish newbie in general. I have a 5 gallon tank that’s between 75F-80F with three small plants, two moss balls, and a big shell for the fish to hide in. the tank also has a lot of small snails from the pet store when I got the plants they have since gotten to a nice group size. They keep the tank clean for the most part there are still a few spots in the tank that have algae growing on it. I don’t have gravel in the tank instead I have a lot of mid-size rocks that do cover the floor of the tank but not 100%. Now for the history of the tank, about two years worth .I had a few neon tetras but a few passed away due to neon tetra disease a longtime a go, I have two left. I had two silver molly, one male and one female, but the female has passed away, not sure way, one day she was fine the next she was on the floor of the tank with snails on her. At that time I also had three tiger barbs, one just passed away in the night, then one more passed away about a month latter but he did show symptoms. His chest scales started to stick out like pine cones but at that point it was too late for me to help him. So at this point I had two neon tetras, one silver male molly, and one tiger barb. About a week ago the tiger barb started turning pale, he has never done this before and it started to become more frequent. He would also stand on his head then his butt area started to turn red, I then put him on an all in one treatment and the red on his butt has started to go away. At the same time the silver male molly started getting more colorfully. A few days later I added a male Dalmatian molly, a male black molly, and a male cremecicle molly. I asked the pet store person if the meals would fight each other and he said no but when I added the mollies to the tank the silver molly started to become aggressive witch was a first. Any ideas on how to make him stop or is he doing this because they are all male mollies? Also is there anything a newbie should know about tropical fish care? Trying to red up on info but there is a lot, water PH, ammonia levels, weekly water changes, what to feed them each day and so on. So if I could get some of the basic info that would be awesome.

Swatcats said:
Hi,

I am new to the forum and a fish newbie in general. I have a 5 gallon tank that’s between 75F-80F with three small plants, two moss balls, and a big shell for the fish to hide in. the tank also has a lot of small snails from the pet store when I got the plants they have since gotten to a nice group size. They keep the tank clean for the most part there are still a few spots in the tank that have algae growing on it. I don’t have gravel in the tank instead I have a lot of mid-size rocks that do cover the floor of the tank but not 100%. Now for the history of the tank, about two years worth .I had a few neon tetras but a few passed away due to neon tetra disease a longtime a go, I have two left. I had two silver molly, one male and one female, but the female has passed away, not sure way, one day she was fine the next she was on the floor of the tank with snails on her. At that time I also had three tiger barbs, one just passed away in the night, then one more passed away about a month latter but he did show symptoms. His chest scales started to stick out like pine cones but at that point it was too late for me to help him. So at this point I had two neon tetras, one silver male molly, and one tiger barb. About a week ago the tiger barb started turning pale, he has never done this before and it started to become more frequent. He would also stand on his head then his butt area started to turn red, I then put him on an all in one treatment and the red on his butt has started to go away. At the same time the silver male molly started getting more colorfully. A few days later I added a male Dalmatian molly, a male black molly, and a male cremecicle molly. I asked the pet store person if the meals would fight each other and he said no but when I added the mollies to the tank the silver molly started to become aggressive witch was a first. Any ideas on how to make him stop or is he doing this because they are all male mollies? Also is there anything a newbie should know about tropical fish care? Trying to red up on info but there is a lot, water PH, ammonia levels, weekly water changes, what to feed them each day and so on. So if I could get some of the basic info that would be awesome.

Welcome to AA! Do you know your water parameters (ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAtes)? Did you cycle the tank and are you familiar with the process?

"Welcome to AA!" Thank You, Sorry but i have no clue, lets go with complete newbie here

If the tank has been established for some time (cycled), it's possible the medicine you used damaged the beneficial bacteria in the tank and is causing a mini-cycle. This causes high ammonia levels and is dangerous to fish and can also cause odd behavior. Try to get a quality test kit like an API master kit and test your ammonia and nitrIte levels and post them for us. You can also take a sample to the local fish store (lfs) and have them test it for you.

I have a 5 gallon tank

A five gallon tank is way too small for even one Molly.

It is way too small for Barbs, which need to live in groups of six or more.

It is way too small for neons, which also need to live in groups of six or more.

It is a decent size for one Betta.

If you reduced the heat, it could house VERY SMALL varieties of minnow, such as white cloud danios.

As long as you keep overstocking the tank with inappropriate fish, you will continue to have these problems.

I know it won't make too much difference (if any) but is that 5 gallon UK or US?

Five UK gallon equals six US gallons, and indeed, would make no difference.

did you add new fish to it whilst you were having problems with your older fish? Also, Prior to purchasing the new fish did you not get the water checked at the fish store???

Definitely too small of a tank. Make sure that you pick up an API master test kit and you'll need to do frequent water changes in that tank. Please don't add any more fish.

Back
Top Bottom