Newbie to African cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidslover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm fairly new to African cichlids and love seeing the everytime. I am just wondering what cichlid is the best for my setup. A 30 gallon with black Tahitian sand, cichlid stones and tons of over filtration with some powerheads.

So I'm fairly new to African cichlids and love seeing the everytime. I am just wondering what cichlid is the best for my setup. A 30 gallon with black Tahitian sand, cichlid stones and tons of over filtration with some powerheads.

You'll have to stick with Dwarf Mbuna in a 30G.

Things like Saulosi, Demasoni ect..

Saulosi can make a fantastic solo tank with their colour changing temperament.

Except that both of those species are highly conspecific aggressive and require 12+ just to have it sort of work. I've heard of very little success keeping either species in a tank under 4'.

I'd look into some of the Tanganyikan shell dwelling species such as neolamprologus multifasciatus, brevis, or ocellatus. Other than those, there aren't many species of African rift lake cichlids that will do well in a 30 gallon. Generally the rule of thumb for mbuna is a 4' tank of 40 gallons or higher (40 long is a 4', 55 is the most standard 4'), peacocks I personally say a 75 gallon or larger, and haps I would say a 125 for a proper tank. These are all my personal opinion.

A lot of the lamp. Cichlids from what I understand.. Orrrrr could try some other shell dwellers

Back
Top Bottom