Newbie to aquaria!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E39530

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Bought my 55 gallon about two months ago. I have been researching as it sits empty in my home no fishless cycling just completely empty. I have learned a great deal just researching here and on other forums. I have so far, 55 gallon tank, aquatop cf300 canister filter, marineland 300 watt adjustable heater and stand with canopy.i would like to do a tropical community tank with some live plants. I have several questions to ask of the members with experience.

1. What type of light is recommended for the type of canopy I have pic attached?

2. Should it be secured to the canopy or be supported by the tank structure?

3. I would like a light with a white light and blue or or moon light option to alternate between the two, should I purchase two lights?

4. The day light it produces needs to be sufficient for plant growth.

Substrate, I really want sand any suggestions!

Also any advice not pertaining to my questions are welcomed and appreciated. Teach the newb;)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404102248.507277.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

1 - That's tough. I would say a low profile LED would work best. Depending on how its built you could attach a light to the top of the canopy

2 - Generally most lights are supported by the tank.

3 - Possibly. Some people buy special kits just to have moon lights over their tank.

4 - What light level are you shooting for? Low light plants are easy but there's a limited selection. Medium light are decent but require fertilization and a carbon source; you also miss out on a lot of the red plants in medium light. High light almost certainly needs pressurized CO2 and daily dosing of ferts. The higher up the light ladder you go the more it's gonna cost.

5 - If you want plants I would say go with eco complete fine grade for a nice black sand. 2" deep at least.

Give us an answer on your desired light level and we can give you more suggestions.

I'm not as experienced as others on this forum, but I will second the use of Eco complete substrate in a planted tank. I switched over to it from regular gravel and LOVE it. Easy to plant in, looks nice, and you don't have to spend forever rinsing before putting it in your tank. Best price I found was on Amazon.com.

Good luck with your tank! Looks like a stand/canopy combo. : )

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

finnex planted plus led fixture has moonlights switch. and is low profile and is what i use in my 75g low tech planted.

sand is fine but may have to add root tabs depending on which type of plants you decide on. You need to establish if your going low tech or high tech.

Can you give us an under shot of that canopy? you could probably suspend a lowprofile led in there..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will post pics of the underside of the canopy when I get home today, currently at work.

Do I need something inside the canopy as protection like a glass top or mesh screen?

Pics of the inside of the canopy.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404272951.375326.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404272963.119272.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom