newbie to aquariums - fluval edge -help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

devine

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there everyone. So after careful thought I bought a fluval edge. I installed it on Wednesday , washed everything thoroughly with cold water. I have not added fiah yet. The tank has a quartz rock, and one decorative pot and fake plants. All certified to go into fish tanks. Did everything as per the manual. I have been adding small amounts of the cycle additive provided by fluval as per the manual, and added the de chlorinator. Everything was great then I came down this morning and the tank is majorly cloudy. White in colour.

I guess this is the tank cycling and the bacteria blooming. I did change 10% of the water to see if I could improve the clarity but it hasn't helped so im leaving it now. Should I turn the lights off to stop the bacteria growing? But keep the filter on maximum? Basically I was hoping to get a fish or two tomorrow . But now I'm hesitant!

I wouldn't add fish until your tank Ptolemy cycles. The cycle additive will not properly cycle your tank and it definitely won't ensure a safe environment

I'm going to find a thread about cycling

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

That thread should get you on the right track. It may take a while, but it is SO worth it in the long run!!

Welcome to AA by the way

Nope, don't add fish yet or else you're in for a LOT of work and potentially sick or dead fish. Read the link in my signature that says "New empty tank...." You'll want to keep your filters on yes, and turn the light off. Get a bottle of PURE ammonia (ACE Hardware brand is best) a good liquid test kit like API (not the strips) and hunker down for a fishless cycle. It takes some time but it's worth it to create the proper home for your fish, otherwise they'll be swimming in poisons and you'll be going crazy with water changes every day.

**edit** just read you added Cycle. Which is fine, I guess, those bottled bacteria products are mostly hit and miss. You'll definitely want to test it. Follow the fishless cycling guide and it'll help. If the Cycle did help you might be seeing things progress quickly, which is good. But you don't want to do what it says and add fish, b/c sometimes (most times) those things don't work and you'll be in a fish-in cycle situation which as I said is not fun for you and definitely not fun for the fish. Good luck. Post here with any questions along the way, we're glad to help.

Back
Top Bottom