Newbie to Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hdixon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello - I've been given a 55 gallon aquarium which I've cleaned up nice. I filled it to the brim and let sit for a couple days to make sure it holds water well.

I'm trying to decide what type of hood/lighting to get.

The top of the tank has a black frame with a cross "bar" in the middle, so really 2 sections. Each section measures about 23 1/4" by 11 1/4 or possibly 11 3/8.

I've been looking around online but I'm a bit confused about the measurements I see vs what I've got. I'm assuming that with the frame I have I have to get two 24" separate hoods? I've seen measurements of 23.25 x 11.5.

With the tank/frame I have could someone point me to hood options that will FOR SURE fit my setup?

TIA

Hello - I've been given a 55 gallon aquarium which I've cleaned up nice. I filled it to the brim and let sit for a couple days to make sure it holds water well.

I'm trying to decide what type of hood/lighting to get.

The top of the tank has a black frame with a cross "bar" in the middle, so really 2 sections. Each section measures about 23 1/4" by 11 1/4 or possibly 11 3/8.

I've been looking around online but I'm a bit confused about the measurements I see vs what I've got. I'm assuming that with the frame I have I have to get two 24" separate hoods? I've seen measurements of 23.25 x 11.5.

With the tank/frame I have could someone point me to hood options that will FOR SURE fit my setup?

TIA
Hi TIA, have you considered getting one made or making one yourself from wood..If you can't make one yourself, do you know anyone that is good at DIY??. I got my friend to build me one. Because he's a mate he only charged me for materials(which were very cheap). This option should work out considerably cheaper than 'buying' one, it certainly did for me!!..You can of course use expensive wood, oak, pine etc but i used MDF.. I'm not sure if you have MDF in the US or if it is called something else!!. The wood is basically made using Sawdust, Paper and glue. It is all compressed together and is extremely strong..This is a few photo's of mine...

Attachments

• 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF6545.jpg
    DSCF6545.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF6565.jpg
    DSCF6565.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF6585.jpg
    DSCF6585.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 49
Hi TIA, have you considered getting one made or making one yourself from wood..If you can't make one yourself, do you know anyone that is good at DIY??. I got my friend to build me one. Because he's a mate he only charged me for materials(which were very cheap). This option should work out considerably cheaper than 'buying' one, it certainly did for me!!..You can of course use expensive wood, oak, pine etc but i used MDF.. I'm not sure if you have MDF in the US or if it is called something else!!. The wood is basically made using Sawdust, Paper and glue. It is all compressed together and is extremely strong..This is a few photo's of mine...

Now that's interesting..... please tell us more.

Are there any plans online that I can use to build my own?
I'm know there's plenty of videos on youtube. My friend is a carpenter, so he just took measurements of the tank and did his thing..I have a few more pic's, if you or others want to PM me, i will happily email them to you...

Back
Top Bottom