Newbie to plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Watts is a little outdated when it comes to measuring effectiveness of lights for plants now -- most people now look at PAR as the best measure.

Here's a good thread on that: Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts

I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with many sorts of lights (I have put in some research into the subject though ;) ) but one that I would recommend is the Finnex Fugeray (Amazon.com: Finnex FugeRay Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 20-Inch: Pet Supplies). It is the light that I currently run on my 10g and it gives me light in the medium range. You pay maybe slightly more upfront but because it's an LED you never have to worry about replacing bulbs so you save more in the long term. $61.49 with free shipping really is a pretty good deal anyway too.

fvyzid.jpg

Values between 10-30 are considered low light.
Values between 30-80 are considered medium light.
Values between 80-120 are considered high light.
(Source: PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - New Chart)

:thanks: SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCHHHHHHHHH Azmodan!
I have been looking for lights forever! I think I will use those. I am working on my plant list now. I will post it when I am done. And I have a new signature. Its pretty funny. :D

Speaking of replacing bulbs I have a fluorescent bulb on my unplanted 20H, do I need to replace that?

I am getting braces tomorrow, and may not be on here, I don't know, because it may hurt a lot :( or not at all :). I am also going on vacation thursday and getting back saturday, so I won't be on for a while. I will try and post an updated plants list asap.

If it's unplanted then you're probably ok.

Good luck with the braces!

Thanks. I just got back. It wasn't bad at all. Just feels weird. I have a question about the finnex fugeray. Is that just a strip light? Like, how does that work? I have seen images of it on rimless tanks, so will it clip on to mine? Its kinda confusing. :huh:

I am still undecided on what substrate I will use, what do you guys recommend? And should I use fertilizer on this tank? I don't have any c02, so I'm not sure whether or not to use fertilizer.

The Fugeray has adjustable arms that just clamp onto the sides of the tank. It's really easy and no assembly required.

For substrate a good easy one is EcoComplete. It now comes in a fine grade that a lot of people seem to like. One bag from Amazon costs around $20 with free shipping and is the perfect amount for a 10g.

You will definitely want ferts. If you have root feeders like crypts you'll want root tabs. You'll also want ferts for the water column. You can buy these in liquid form or dry form. They're relatively inexpensive and last a pretty long time. A liquid carbon supplement like Flourish Excel is also important. It sounds like a lot of things but really it's pretty simple! I can post specific products and links later after work.

The Fugeray has adjustable arms that just clamp onto the sides of the tank. It's really easy and no assembly required.

For substrate a good easy one is EcoComplete. It now comes in a fine grade that a lot of people seem to like. One bag from Amazon costs around $20 with free shipping and is the perfect amount for a 10g.

You will definitely want ferts. If you have root feeders like crypts you'll want root tabs. You'll also want ferts for the water column. You can buy these in liquid form or dry form. They're relatively inexpensive and last a pretty long time. A liquid carbon supplement like Flourish Excel is also important. It sounds like a lot of things but really it's pretty simple! I can post specific products and links later after work.

Could I do eco complete with a different substrate on top?

If I use the fugeray, will it work on a normal 10g, one with a rim? And will it evaporate really quickly?

Ok, I am thinking of using:
Excel
API leaf zone
I'm not sure about what kind of root tabs. I do want crypts, I am thinking about parva, wendtii, and spiralis. What root tabs do you recommend?
Also, I have heard about things that ferts need. I think it was:
Micro and macro nutrients
Phosphorus
Potassium
Nitrogen (in ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate)
Do leaf zone and what ever root tabs I might use have that?

Sorry for all the questions!
:thanks:

Could I do eco complete with a different substrate on top?

If I use the fugeray, will it work on a normal 10g, one with a rim? And will it evaporate really quickly?

Ok, I am thinking of using:
Excel
API leaf zone
I'm not sure about what kind of root tabs. I do want crypts, I am thinking about parva, wendtii, and spiralis. What root tabs do you recommend?
Also, I have heard about things that ferts need. I think it was:
Micro and macro nutrients
Phosphorus
Potassium
Nitrogen (in ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate)
Do leaf zone and what ever root tabs I might use have that?

Sorry for all the questions!
:thanks:

You could do a cap on top of the Eco Complete but I don't really think it's necessary. The Eco Complete itself is a pretty attractive substrate and I think if you tried to do sand it'd just end up on the bottom anyway. I plan on doing a new 29g planted tank soon and I'm going to use the new Eco Complete "fine grain" that's available.

For the ferts API Leaf Zone is Iron and Potassium so you'd need something that provides other necessary micronutrients as well. Thus many people typically couple Leaf Zone with Seachem Flourish Comprehensive. Eventually you may move toward dry ferts (essentially the exact same nutrients, just in a more concentrated form), but in the beginning I'd recommend just starting with Flourish Comp and Leaf Zone to keep it simple. Flourish Excel is also important.

For the root tabs I'd recommend jetajockey's RU tabs: Ru Tabs root tabs (50 pack) - Peabody's Paradise LLC. 50 tabs for $10 is a nice deal considering you'll only need to replace them once every 3-4 months (and in a 10g you'd only use maybe 4-5 tabs at a time, if that). But there are tons of other root tabs available and most have the same ingredients, you probably just pay more is all. Many people also use DIY Osmocote+ tabs (just google it), which are also very cheap.

The 20 inch Fugeray fits perfectly on a rimmed 10g. I have that exact set up and the evaporation is minimal (maybe a quarter inch a day or so, but I'm in Hawaii too -- not sure if that makes a difference). I think I posted this already but here's what the Fugeray looks like on my 10g:

64708-albums12696-picture58376.jpg

You could do a cap on top of the Eco Complete but I don't really think it's necessary. The Eco Complete itself is a pretty attractive substrate and I think if you tried to do sand it'd just end up on the bottom anyway. I plan on doing a new 29g planted tank soon and I'm going to use the new Eco Complete "fine grain" that's available.

For the ferts API Leaf Zone is Iron and Potassium so you'd need something that provides other necessary micronutrients as well. Thus many people typically couple Leaf Zone with Seachem Flourish Comprehensive. Eventually you may move toward dry ferts (essentially the exact same nutrients, just in a more concentrated form), but in the beginning I'd recommend just starting with Flourish Comp and Leaf Zone to keep it simple. Flourish Excel is also important.

For the root tabs I'd recommend jetajockey's RU tabs: Ru Tabs root tabs (50 pack) - Peabody's Paradise LLC. 50 tabs for $10 is a nice deal considering you'll only need to replace them once every 3-4 months (and in a 10g you'd only use maybe 4-5 tabs at a time, if that). But there are tons of other root tabs available and most have the same ingredients, you probably just pay more is all. Many people also use DIY Osmocote+ tabs (just google it), which are also very cheap.

The 20 inch Fugeray fits perfectly on a rimmed 10g. I have that exact set up and the evaporation is minimal (maybe a quarter inch a day or so, but I'm in Hawaii too -- not sure if that makes a difference). I think I posted this already but here's what the Fugeray looks like on my 10g:

64708-albums12696-picture58376.jpg

Thank you so much azmodan! That pretty much answered all of my questions!

Keep us posted on your progress! Good luck! (y)

Ok, I will put substrate down sometime soon hopefully. I am going to try putting cardboard to separate white sand from the substrate for the plants (probably eco complete, but not sure yet). Thats what James Findley does! :D

One more question about the fugeray, then I am off to do math homework.

Does the fugeray come with the clamps to hold it on to the side and everything on that deal from amazon that you posted? I just don't want to order it and find out that I need more parts to it!

Ok, I will put substrate down sometime soon hopefully. I am going to try putting cardboard to separate white sand from the substrate for the plants (probably eco complete, but not sure yet). Thats what James Findley does! :D

One more question about the fugeray, then I am off to do math homework.

Does the fugeray come with the clamps to hold it on to the side and everything on that deal from amazon that you posted? I just don't want to order it and find out that I need more parts to it!

Never mind about the clamps for the fugeray, I just read more about it, and I understand it now. I will order a fugeray 20" soon. I am going to see if eco complete has any sand. It seems to be all gravel.:(
Can't wait to begin planning the aquascape :dance:

Will post pics when I start ordering stuff.

Just some notes about the FugeRay:
There are some instances where a glass top is needed (jumping fish, excessive evaporation, etc). If you use a glass top, then it might be difficult to use the included mounts/clamps because the of where the glass top and clamps meet (not enough room). In that case you can place the FugeRay directly onto the glass top.

Just some notes about the FugeRay:
There are some instances where a glass top is needed (jumping fish, excessive evaporation, etc). If you use a glass top, then it might be difficult to use the included mounts/clamps because the of where the glass top and clamps meet (not enough room). In that case you can place the FugeRay directly onto the glass top.

Ok, thanks for the tip. I don't think any of my fish would jump out, but IDK, maybe.

You have to get the Eco Complete "fine" which is close to sand size.

I don't have tops on any of my tanks and don't have fish jumping issues. Fish like rainbows and hatchets are known jumpers so you have to research to see if any of the fish you keep are prone to jumping.

You have to get the Eco Complete "fine" which is close to sand size.

I don't have tops on any of my tanks and don't have fish jumping issues. Fish like rainbows and hatchets are known jumpers so you have to research to see if any of the fish you keep are prone to jumping.

Okay, thanks. I will look into the fine eco complete. I don't think that my fish will jump, but I will check it out anyway.

I ordered eco complete and a 20" finnex fugeray last night. The eco complete will come in in 5-10 days, the fugeray will take longer, I don't know how long yet. They said they are out of stock, but will get it to me asap. I can't wait. :dance:

The eco complete came in, but the fugeray hasn't. It was backordered, so it won't come in for a while. :( I ordered the normal eco complete, because the way I want to scape the tank has a section of white sand, I think the sand will contrast better with gravel. I decided to pump diy co2 in, and will try different recipes before putting in fish. I want to see what works best. I am also thinking of not having the sparkling gourami and just the CPDs and the RCS. I could even try to breed the CPDs! I am narrowing down the list of plants I want, and will post it when I get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom