Newbie to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Precious_Scarface

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi i wanted to know how much it would cost to set up a 10g saltwater tank ive been doing research alot lately and i wanted to make a little addition since i have a 55 gallon freshwater i just want average costs

Well, that would depend a lot on if you wanted it to be FOWLR or reef and whether you already have the tank or any other equipment.

I have nothing whatsoever well i got the tank that came with heater and hob filter but nothing else and i wanted like a single fish a clownfish with maybe one anemone or just a single clownfish and fowlr and some fake stuff

Precious_Scarface said:
I have nothing whatsoever well i got the tank that came with heater and hob filter but nothing else and i wanted like a single fish a clownfish with maybe one anemone or just a single clownfish and fowlr and some fake stuff

FOWLR will be much cheaper cuz you don't need special lights, but that would mean no anemone unless you're willing to put down some money for really good lights. The clown doesn't need a nem, though. He'll be perfectly happy without one.
If you have the tank and heater ( heater needs to be able to get temp up to 76-78*F, so the kind you can dial in a temp is better IMO) it shouldn't be that costly. You can get base rock at LFS for under $2/lb usually. I would get about 10-12# of varying sizes, but nothing too huge since its a 10g. Live sand at Petco I think is $20-25 for 20#, and that's all the sand you'd need. You'll need a filter rated for at least 20g tank, not sure what you have now. A thermometer ($4-15, depending on type you get), SW liquid test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (about $10 each at Petco for API tests), a small powerhead (about 250gph) is about $30, hydrometer ($10), bag of salt ($20), can of spray paint to paint the back of tank, small bottle of ammonia or couple raw shrimp to start the cycle, some RO or distilled water (a lot of LFS will sell RO water by the gallon if you bring in the buckets, but you have to ask cuz they don't advertise it-and ONLY use these buckets for RO water so no chemicals end up in the tank). And did the tank come with a hood and light? My LFS sell RO water for under 40 cents/gal, so 10g won't cost much. You will need to do 1-2 gal PWCs every week, though. You could do less rock if you want to do fake plants, though if that's what you want.
1 clown might be okay in a 10g, but that'll probably be your only fish. And it should probably be an oscellaris clown, no maroon or tomato cuz they get way too big for a 10g tank. Could do a cleaner shrimp and some hermits and snails too. That would be a nice tank.

Omg exactly what i was thinking and yes i was thinking about those small clownfish "the nemo" and like i said a single one but now i think i might get like a hermit crab as my cleaning crew and the filter is for a 10-20g the heater works wonderfully as i have a fresh water tank and it does the trick its rarely even on cause i always put my tanks close to heaters already the highest itll go is probably 80 degrees on hot days and never goes any lower than 72-74 degrees i do have some already cycled water but not enough to fill my tank so itll be quite easy ... Also what kind of lights are really good for anemones ?? I was thinking to keep in the fake but first get the clownfish to host the anemone first then introduce the rest .. Because i know anemones can be harmful to some corals i know corals are not an options if i am to put an anemone in there .. Depending if not ill just go with fish only it is for my daughter so i wouldnt put stuff to hard to take care of for me since it is gonna be my first saltwater tank

Maybe when i upgrade ill think about putting some corals in there but for now ill go easy then go from there better go slow an steady i always say !!

I do have the testing kits for fresh and saltwater ph ammonia ect.. Thermometer is the one that sticks in front and an inside one that float around ( well not suppose to float but i lost the suction cup for it)

I'm no expert on lighting. I have a Kessil LED on my 55g and marineland LED on the 30g FOWLR. the Kessil are about $300 each, I have it in ocean blue. The Marineland LEDs won't really support anything but mushrooms and maybe zoas. Zoas are beautiful and colorful- they look like underwater flowers- your daughter woild probably live them. I just like the effect of LED light on the tank. I've heard good things about a dimmable taotronics led light for sale on amazon for about $165.
I'm not familiar at all with T5, T8, MH, HO, VHO lighting, so I hope someone who is will chime in. there are lots of threads about lighting on this site, you can search lighting and see what comes up. Hope that gives you some kind if help!!
When I converted my 30g from FW to SW, it cost me about $200, and part of that was cuz I had to buy a better filter. And I set it up in just few hours and started cycling. :)

Alright so i just put my sand and salt in a tub to cycle it i got just a bubbler and hob filter to give movement to the water now to let it cycle and rest before testing it

Precious_Scarface said:
Alright so i just put my sand and salt in a tub to cycle it i got just a bubbler and hob filter to give movement to the water now to let it cycle and rest before testing it

Why do you have sand and water in a tub and not the tank? You want your BB to grow on the surfaces in your tank, like the sand and filter, so it needs to be in the tank. You'll need to add an ammonia source to cycle the tank, you can use a piece or 2 of raw shrimp or raw fish. You won't have an ammonia spike if you don't add an ammonia source.

Because i ordered my tank and its not here yet and i had everything ready im gonna start the cycle in that tub and transfer it in the tank when it gets here and finish off my cycle

You can use fish food for an ammonia source, but it'll probably take a good bit. You want your ammonia to get up to at least 4ppm, so add some and then test the next day and add more if ammonia isn't high enough.

Alright i wil do that some flake food for fast dissolving and pellet food for slow dissolving itll keep the levels and tmw ill test it

Alright so now i tested my ammonia and i got 1.0 no nitrites or nitrates and should i wait for the sand to settle before putting the filter on ?? I do have my bubbler on but no sure if i should put my filter on and or if i gotta wait for it to settle

You'll need to put the filter on for the cycle so that BB can grow in it. If you want to wait another day til the sand settles, that's fine too. But when the sand settles, add the filter.
And 1 ppm of ammonia is a good start, add a little more fish food to try to get it up to 4 ppm.

Looks like the gang has most of this covered, but I thought I'd chime in with my two cents.
A ten gallon is certainly pushing it for a clown, but as the only fish, it should work. That's provided you keep a close eye on water quality. I would not recommend an anemone for a few reasons. The first is that they are generally considered more advanced animals. I'd wait until you're comfortable with salt first. Second, it's very difficult to keep a ten gallon balanced properly. The fluctuations with good care shouldn't be too hard on a fish, but anemones are pretty delicate. Swings in temp, ph, or salinity can be deadly for them. Third is size. Anemones get big. The "easiest" is usually considered the green bubble tip, and it can get a foot across. Fourth has already been covered. The clown will not need it. Fifth is lighting. Even for such a small tank, I doubt anything short of T5 would suffice long term. Dual T5 would be best.
Your belief that an anemone would rule out coral is also not necessarily true. In such a small tank, it's probably iffy at best, but as a general rule most anemone owners also have corals.
Live sand is overpriced unless you can be sure it's fresh. Dry aragonite may be cheaper. Just get the cheapest of the two. Dry rock is great, but I'd strongly recommend at least one piece of live rock to seed the system and improve biodiversity. Get the one with the most life (algae, worms, snails, pods, etc) that you can.
Some corals that may work well for you are mushrooms (one word: bulletproof), leather, Kenya tree, etc. softies are generally easier. Later you can try out some LPS such as torch, Duncan, blastomussa, etc.
cycling your sand now may not do much good as the transferral to the new tank will almost certainly trigger a new cycle.
Fish food to cycle is fine, but a cocktail shrimp works great. If using live rock in sufficient amounts, you may not see much of a cycle at all. If you've got a decomposing shrimp and see only nitrates, it's a win.
I'd suggest a couple small hermits, and a couple each of cerith, nassarius, and trochus or Astraea snails. And don't freak out if you find bristle worms. They are your friend!
Sorry for the long post! Welcome to the salty side!

Yeah like i said its only a single fish for my daughter and i think its wise for me to wait till im comfortable with salt water before getting anything hard to keep and like i said i just dont have the tank yet im getting it soon but not sure when .. I will let you guys know when i do get it and make the transfer what would be best ?? Up until now everything is going perfect and i have live aragonite sand and dry base rock

Alright so i keep testing twice a day for ammonia cause i need to get it up to 4 ppm but i just keep putting in food but my ammonia just keeps going down it was 2.0 ppm this morning now its .50 but no nitrite or nitrates .. What should i do ??

I did put more food after the 2nd test then i waited it went up again hopefully it doesnt go lower if not ill need help

Today 1st

Salinity- 1.023
Ammonia- 2.0ppm
Ph- 8.2
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-0

2nd

Salinity- 1.023
Ammonia-0.50ppm
Ph-8.4
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-0