Newer Aquarium Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JZK

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All.....

First time poster, lurker for a while.

I have a 16 gallon tank.... about 3 months old. I have 3 Rasboras, 3 Danios, 2 Otos, and 1 Netrite snail. I have just plastic plants until about 4 days ago, then I added 1 Wisteria, then yesterday added 3 more live plants. My problem is that I have been battling an algae bloom for about 2 weeks now. Chemistry has not changed that I can tell... 0-.25% ammonia, 0 nitrites, minimal nitrates. I do a water change, which gets rid of the algae but the water is cloudy... then the next day the algae returns.

Obviously, with the plants, leaving the lights off isn't an option but they are only on for about 8 hours anyway, except that I could move them to the 5 gallon tank I am cycling to use as a Betta tank.

The only changes are using Seachem Prime as the water conditioner now and adding blood worms as a treat.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

You could reduce the lighting to 5-6 hours per day and see if that improves the situation.
What kind of filter are you using and what kind of maintenance is being performed on it?
How often do you to water changes and how much water is being changed? Unless the tank is still cycling, you really should not be seeing any ammonia.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Fresh 2o.... would reducing the lighting be detrimental to the plants though? I have an AquaClear 30 running in the tank... maintenance is as per instructions, carbon every month, filter sponge every two, and biologic every three.

I have been doing weekly water changes until this algae bloom started, now it is about 25% every 4-5 days. I did an almost 50% yesterday since it was so bad.

The amount of both ammonia and nitrates test the same in the aquarium as they do in the tap water, so I am not sure what to do about that... The tank did the basic cycle, ammonia spike, nitrite spike, then some nitrates... Nitrites have been at zero for a month.... never get ammonia to actual zero though.

Used to have cyrstal clear water until 2 weeks ago... very frustrating.

Thanks Fresh 2o.... would reducing the lighting be detrimental to the plants though? I have an AquaClear 30 running in the tank... maintenance is as per instructions, carbon every month, filter sponge every two, and biologic every three.

I have been doing weekly water changes until this algae bloom started, now it is about 25% every 4-5 days. I did an almost 50% yesterday since it was so bad.

The amount of both ammonia and nitrates test the same in the aquarium as they do in the tap water, so I am not sure what to do about that... The tank did the basic cycle, ammonia spike, nitrite spike, then some nitrates... Nitrites have been at zero for a month.... never get ammonia to actual zero though.

Used to have cyrstal clear water until 2 weeks ago... very frustrating.

The shorter duration will not harm the plants.
As for the AC30 (AquaClears are my favorite HOB filter for a number of reasons), you can ditch the carbon. At this point it's probably exhausted. I would not replace the sponge or ceramic media (at all). About every 2-3 weeks you can swish these around in the water removed from a water change. Changing out the ceramic media can leading to a recycle or mini-cycle. I have discontinued using the sponge and use PolyFil polyester fluff and replace that every few weeks.
A few years back I used to have ammonia (1 ppm) as well as nitrates in my tap water. Fortunately, the bio filter was mature and could handle the extra ammonia.

Thanks! I already changed the sponge.... I figured I would wait another week on the carbon before changing it again, to avoid doing both at once. I have already changed the carbon once before. Having been through a disaster with the small tank, ammonia spike, pretty awful, the fish are not reacting to the slight amount of ammonia in the least. That said, when it registered .25, I put in a little Prime.

Once you remove the carbon, I would not bother replacing it. You can use the extra space for filter floss.
When I had ammonia and nitrates in the tap water, I continued to perform water changes, however, I limited them to 25-35%.

Something no on has mentioned yet. Reduce the amount you're feeding along with the reduced lighting. I used to battle pea soup water constantly but its has all but cleared up with the redo. I went with a MUCH heavier plant load, and went so far as to remove the hob cover and plant pothos in it. Still have nitrates, but its a dirted tank that's still fairly new. A month old (used 3 seeded sponge filters to cycle it as quickly as possible)

Point is feed less, it drives me nuts not to feed mine daily, so I cut it back to just a little bit(enough that I see everyone get some) then right before lights out I crumble up 2/3 an algae tab and spread it out for the cories and otos. The rest goes in the betta tank for the pleco. The guppies beg for food constantly if I walk up to the tank, and have even started investigating my hand if I reach in the tank for something. I fast them one day a week as well. Water is clear, and I feel kind of bad that the otos don't have more to munch on.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As an experiment I threw 3 shrimp pellets in a 1.5 gallon corner betta tank and then set it out on the porch. Within 2 days it had algae growth, within a week it was covered. Light and food, if its not in balance you'll have algae.

Thanks again all.... the weird thing is that i am not feeding any more now than I was when the water was clear..... That said, I changed the water yesterday, and I have algae again today. The fish seem happy enough, thank goodness... Seachem says the phosphates are too high and to treat for that... I don't have a test for phosphates. That said, I did introduce Excel today as well as Pristine (both Seachem).... the water seems to be clearing a little... just dosed an hour ago... we will see what the morning brings.

Changed the water again tonight.... pea soup.... ugh. Tomorrow, I will try not feeding them and leave the light off until the afternoon to bring it down to about 6 hours.... Hopefully the gold danio who is constantly begging for food will not eat everyone else.

Feed a little bit, then just leave the lights off. Same for the next day. So Friday afternoon do another water change. Basically every other day. Turn your lights on every third day. While they won't thrive, the plants will be ok with just ambient light.

Feed a little bit, then just leave the lights off. Same for the next day. So Friday afternoon do another water change. Basically every other day. Turn your lights on every third day. While they won't thrive, the plants will be ok with just ambient light.

Then is that the new normal or just until the present bloom is under control?

Also check into a little pouch of PhosGuard by Seachem. Definintely cut back on feeding - No flakes - can't remember if you used them and maybe reduce the blood worms.

Tbh, if youre getting green water the single best way ive found to combat it is with a uv sterilizer. There are very affordable ones to be had on ebay. It took all of 2 days to clear up my water in my tank and the green water has never come back.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I added a little pouch of Phosguard to the filter yesterday... no discernible affect today. I changed the gravel a bit (added a line of a different color) which allowed me to clean the substrate a bit more than usual. Added Prime, Pristine, and Excel (for the plants). I will try Ruutah's idea of leaving the tank lights off completely for a few days and see what happens. Fish seem happy. Tank looks cool (the gravel line especially) but would look so much better with clear water... :(

Hi there The phosguard Will help towards your Phos levels but you have to keep changing it as it gets exhausted and the best way to do this is to test regular as soon as the Phos level start to creep up that's when you need to change it don't wait until you're back to the beginning again, also feeding sparingly, also are you say you're using tapwater so every time you do I want to change you are adding more phos&No3 to your tank as conditional does not get rid of these two this is why it's important you cut back on your food and change your Phos remover on a regular basis, you say you use active carbon that does help with water clarity but again is the thing you need to change on a regular basis in my opinion four weeks is about Max for active carbon to be charged. All this along with regular maintenance of your filter The better the results you should see.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Phosguard seemed to help a little... i bought a Green Killing Machine clip on UV sterlizer... the others were huge... this one just clips on the filter and the water runs through it. $30 on Amazon with free shipping. Since it is only a 16 gallon tank, I figured I would try it.

I will keep you posted. I did take a before picture.... fingers crossed for an impressive after pic.

The Phosguard seemed to help a little... i bought a Green Killing Machine clip on UV sterlizer... the others were huge... this one just clips on the filter and the water runs through it. $30 on Amazon with free shipping. Since it is only a 16 gallon tank, I figured I would try it.

I will keep you posted. I did take a before picture.... fingers crossed for an impressive after pic.

Hoping to see that impressive after pic :).

I am hoping for the best.... so many of the UV sterilizers are huge and clunky... not practical for a small tank. This one is small enough to clip onto the filter's water outlet. Here's hoping it works!

Back
Top Bottom