Newest addition! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Saw this flame scallop at my LFS today and decided to give him a try :D

I originally put him in the substrate so how he wedged himself up in between those two rocks he's on I have no clue :blink:

75748-albums12608-picture60483.jpg

Thats cool, i want one but im not sure if hes gonna jump on stuff and knock it down? They are so wicked looking!!!!

I want one of these, I have read they can be tough to keep. Keep us posted and maybe I will give one a shot. It looks great.

I want one of these, I have read they can be tough to keep. Keep us posted and maybe I will give one a shot. It looks great.

It is surprising how much poo this guy puts out in my tank! :)

They are only difficult to keep because people don't go out of their way to feed them. I am already dosing my tank with large amounts of live phyto plankton so adding another filter feeder isn't a big deal. Although, I will add that they do die of old age fairly rapidly and by the time most people get them there is usually about 6 months - 1 year left in them. But for a $8 investment it's worth it to me.

6mo-1year? That's crazy figured they would last a few years. Not even worth the $8 IMHO.

They supposedly last 3 - 5 years in the wild and when you get them they are generally adults. Technically, this guy was free because I traded in some grape caulerpa for him :) but meh, I've spent more on things that have died faster

They supposedly last 3 - 5 years in the wild and when you get them they are generally adults. Technically, this guy was free because I traded in some grape caulerpa for him :) but meh, I've spent more on things that have died faster

Me too. Do they reproduce?

Well, 3 months down the road and my flame scallop is still alive. He poos a lot and I noticed that the amount of waste he makes greatly decreases when I stop dosing phytoplankton to my tank. Since most people have them die by the 3 month mark I am assuming that my phytoplankton culture is giving him enough food to live off of.

That's great to hear. I still want to try one at some point. My coco worm going strong after however many months now at this point has me sold I can do it. I think that our goal of ULNS makes creatures like this difficult when we strip everything out of the water. Your phytoplankton is most def the reason you are being successful. Good job.

Back
Top Bottom