Next project...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aski247

Aquarium Advice Addict
Trimac's or Hogaboomorum's?

Gonna order from Rapps. My last trimac from him was a boss.. And I have regretted getting rid of him for a while.

Both of these are fairly rare in my area and I have never seen hoga's at my lfs.

Also have inboxed a member about larger pikes, hopefully Rapps still has some of the cobras. Or I'll have to try something else. But a large pike will be part of this tank.

Thoughts? -Sorry hukit no lyonsi!! ;) - bahaha..

Idk about those to fish but there is a guy on youtube who breads festae, dovii, and jaguars if you would be intrested in them lol. It remonded me because i think he has a hoga.

Thoughts? -Sorry hukit no lyonsi!! ;) - bahaha..

Whatever!

I vote for Herichthys bocourti or turquoise sp.

27198-albums10983-picture47496.jpg

Haha those fish are awesome, if I had the room I would be doing the lyonsi, but I want the big attitude to go with the project. I miss interesting water changes. Haven't had one since I lost my RD.

Had to downgrade my 300 to a 240 because I couldn't get it to fit where I need it :/ maybe ill turn it into a community cichlid tank down the road and finally breed one of them trendy fish. Haha.

Idk about those to fish but there is a guy on youtube who breads festae, dovii, and jaguars if you would be intrested in them lol. It remonded me because i think he has a hoga.

I have kept all them before. I'm looking for something a little less common so I can sell off the fry to help feed my Pbass. Them things are among the most stubborn fish I have kept and WILL NOT...(grrrrr) take to pellets.

Last time I seen trimac fry at my lfs(1-1.5") was at 12$ each. I can only imagin the hoga's are around the same price range.

And both of these are something I have wanted to breed for some time now. As well I know will keep my interest. As I go through phases where ill trade or sell stuff off after a few months or years.

The problem with trimacs and others like them is having a divider in a display tank, something I vow never to have again. My trimacs were breeding when they were around 5-6" the male was relentless trying to get her to breed right after they spawned which ultimately led to the females being attacked unless a divider was used. This was the same for all 3 of the pairs I've owned.

I vote for the hoga, although I have to say Hukits Sp tortoise is pretty cool looking and unique.

You'll be a legend if you manage to bag the sp cobra!

I'd do a pair of Crenicichla lenticulata if I had the space, always wanted one of these and never seen one in real life.

I hear ya on the divider, but this is more or less a tank for me. It's in my bedroom and not as much a show tank. The divider isn't really much of a eyesore for me knowing the tank is meant for breeding.

Oh and trust both dovii and beani been running through my head since I knew I was getting the 240. They are very much so still in play with in the next year. I'm waiting on my bass to grow out some more to decide if I wanna keep them or not.

Borderlesscott said:
I'd do a pair of Crenicichla lenticulata if I had the space, always wanted one of these and never seen one in real life.

I thought I had a lenticulata and it turned out to be a stupid strigata! Nice fish in its own right, but I would have preferred lenticulata.

Aski247 said:
I hear ya on the divider, but this is more or less a tank for me. It's in my bedroom and not as much a show tank. The divider isn't really much of a eyesore for me knowing the tank is meant for breeding.

Oh and trust both dovii and beani been running through my head since I knew I was getting the 240. They are very much so still in play with in the next year. I'm waiting on my bass to grow out some more to decide if I wanna keep them or not.

I had a divider for awhile in my 180 and that thing couldn't go soon enough. I personally decided I would rather less aggressive fish at once than having that white grated eyesore.

image-139980547.jpg

Ugh - bad memories.

I think if your really looking for that specific glass banger mentality then a community tank is really not ideal, it doesn't matter if the tank is six or ten feet what your looking for doesn't work well in that type of environment. I'm not saying it can't work it's just not ideal, a hyper aggressive fish puts a lot of stress on tankmates. I've woken up to a entire tank of dead fish that were killed in a few hours by a ultra agressive fish, not something I'm in a hurry to see again. A single wet pet fish in a 75-100g seems ideal for your desired fish, and here's my vote.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Thanks guys. That hoga is a beast!

And LOL way to keep that mean ol' FM back 5x5 haha ;)

I was just thinking about my divider. If I got some suction cups I could go to my old job and possibly use some some scrap glass or acrylic (glass/mirror install company) fitted to tank and you would notice the divider even less ;) just would have to drill holes to allow circulation of water.

Aski247 said:
Thanks guys. That hoga is a beast!

And LOL way to keep that mean ol' FM back 5x5 haha ;)

I was just thinking about my divider. If I got some suction cups I could go to my old job and possibly use some some scrap glass or acrylic (glass/mirror install company) fitted to tank and you would notice the divider even less ;) just would have to drill holes to allow circulation of water.

That's my killer FM. He's in his own cell for his own protection!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom