Next Step...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pm64971

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I need somebody to make some recommendations. I have a 40 gal tank, that is full of water and has about 3" of sand. The salinity is 1.021. I have one small fluval in there to move the water around. I am going to add a few other powerheads and my heater.

My question is, what do I do next? I have some LS, and could add that to start the bacteria growth. I can't afford to go and buy 40 lbs of live rock. (By the way, how much rock should I add?)

Anybody have any suggesions?

Adding an another PH would be a good idea as the canister will not really provide sufficient water movement. I would also suggest raising the SG to a more natural level, 1.024-1.026. The lower level may lead to future problems as you begin adding animals to the tank. Once the heater is in, set it to 25-26°C and then tweek it until you get a thermometer reading of close to 27°C (80°F).

If the LS is unopened, I would return it. Unless it is sand from an established tank or loaded with fauna, they are a complete waste of money. I would instead suggest reading about "How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish". It will do much the same thing and save you alot of money.

The amount of rock to add is really up to you but the more the better within reason. The general concensus is 1-½lbs/gal of tank volume.

What type of tank are you planning on? FOWLR or reef?

Cheers
Steve

LS is from an established tank.
I have read the article.
I am planning a FOWLR and I'm going to reef in a year or two.

I would suggest you wait on animal additions until you get the LR then unless you have the space to cure the rock seperately once it is available. Adding rock to an established tank (cured or uncured) can often cause a great many issues with water quality and there is a good chance of losing some animals. If you are able to cure it seperately, then adding the sand would give it a good "kick off" but I would still suggest adding something to elevate the ammonia even if slightly.

With LR you will also need some mimimal lights to support the coralline on the rock, about 2w/gal. It is not neccessary right away if you have a way of re-seeding the coralline die off at a later date. The possitive biological effects of the LR will not be affected if you do not have the lights, only the coralline.

Cheers
Steve

I don't plan on adding any critters until the rock is all in the tank. Because I can't afford the rock at the moment, I was really wondering if I could just add the sand and let the goodies in that colonize the sand. Obviously they will need something to eat. I have uncooked shrimp in my freezer for that. Sound like a good plan, or will I just kill the sand?

Once you add the LR there will be a new cycle but the LS you add now should help. The fauna that you seed with the LS will for the most part survive the new cycle but be sure you add small amounts of food once or twice a week to sustain them until things get into full swing. The LS should also have a possitive affect of enhancing the bacterial populations as time passes.

If using uncured LR, you will not really need the shrimp if there is sufficient die off from the LR. You will have to guage that once you reach that point.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom