Nice one! I came home to find my emerald crab munching on my £40 torch coral !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leedowlrods

Aquarium Advice Freak
Nice one! I came home to find my emerald crab munching on my £40 torch coral !!!
... And he's eaten the lot

That appears to have brown jelly disease. I don't think the crab is doing anything besides cleaning up the dying mess. I would remove that coral and give it at least an iodine dip, and thank the crab.
It looks as though you have very little flow there. I would also put that in a moderate flow area.

I've moved what's left of the torch to a more 'windy' place and increased the flow a tad.
Hope to see it blooming again after work

Don't get your hopes up too high. That stuff easily wipes out the entire coral when left untreated. If you are going to keep Euphyllia (Torches, hammers, frogspawn), I suggest you invest in a bottle of Lugols iodine dip. BJD is also contagious. If it blows around the tank there is a possibility it could infect other LPS corals.

Oh dear me!

Thanks for the info, I finish work soon, but not soon enough

No sign of brown slime, so it's fingers crossed on that front. I've increased the flow but I think it's a little too fast for everything, everyone is going bonkers, also did a weekly water change.
Just ordered some blue zoas so I'm gonna chop out all my pulsing xenia to make room!

More brown slime today, I wish the postman would hurry up with my iodine !!

Still on the same torch.

On a different note... I'm a little happier bc I just evicted tons of pulsing xenia.

I fear it's too late to save the torch now, the brown has spread to the remaining heads.
I guess I'm gonna be using the space to shuffle things about,
Thanks for all your help Mr X.
Ill prob use iodine to dip any future coral before acclimating as a preventative measure.
Just ordered a bright blue zoa yay

Is there a chance the feeding tenticles from my open brain coral has stung the torch coral resulting in brown slime taking over the torch?

What are you calling an "open brain"? If it's tracyphyllia or wellsophyllia, they don't have sweepers. They simply have short, sticky, tentacles for catching food.

It's a trachyphilia, the sweepers are about 10" long after lights out, I thought they might sting as I've seen cleaner shrimp getting caught up in it,
Just after ideas as to why torch got BSD.
I've iodine dipped now but looks way too late

image-1623440347.jpg

Interesting. I've never seen a tracyphyllia with sweepers. I'd love to see a picture of that. I'm not sure but If i had to guess, i would think it would be the other way around- the torch would win over the tracy.

Back
Top Bottom