nice plants... really?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been searching the internet for a long time looking for plants to put in my tank. Finally I found the 2/3 types that I really want and looked great on aquariumplants.com. So I'm at PetSmart getting a few fish and take a look at their selection. I found all the plants that I want, but they looked horrible! They all look dead and extremely small. So this made me completely second guess getting live plants. Are the plants online bigger and more green (instead of the yellowish-brown)?

My petsmart plant are horrible and thet are not always labled correctly and some of them labled for under water use aren't thet just rot.

Unfortunately I've had almost no luck getting quality plants from the big chains like PetSmart unless I luck out and stop by shortly after a new shipment. Their setups aren't ideal for live plants and all too often don't have anyone caring for them that actually knows about growing plants.

All too often the same situation is found at the LFS as well. Once and awhile you'll get lucky and they'll order something in for you to pickup the same day it arrives. This is an awesome way to get ahold of plants your LFS might not order in otherwise.

Ordering plants online is actually a great way to get quality plants if you 1. order from a reputable source, 2. they're shipped properly, and 3. they aren't caught out in extremely cold or hot weather.

I've ordered from AqauriumPlants.com a couple of times, and had pretty good luck. Depending on what you're ordering from them, it can be a very good deal. I'd also recommend checking out LowCoaster (Charley) over on AquaBid.com. You can get on his mailing list and order directly from him. His plants are very generous and good quality. And of course don't forget to check the barter/trade and classifieds sections of the forum. There are a lot of people that aren't shipping right now because of the weather, but once it starts warming up you'll see more trimmings available for shipping and/or a nominal amount.

I have been searching the internet for a long time looking for plants to put in my tank. Finally I found the 2/3 types that I really want and looked great on aquariumplants.com. So I'm at PetSmart getting a few fish and take a look at their selection. I found all the plants that I want, but they looked horrible! They all look dead and extremely small. So this made me completely second guess getting live plants. Are the plants online bigger and more green (instead of the yellowish-brown)?

Your post makes me feel as though you had seen some dying plants and you assume this is what happens in an aquarium?

Have you not seen what a wonderful planted tank looks like?

IMO, find the best that you can, BUT it doesn't matter what shape they are in. If you are dedicated and have done your research, you can bring life back to those that 'look' dead as long as they have some life left in them.

I rather enjoy seeing what I can do to a plant that has very little life left. I once received some plants that was mailed to me from someone's parents that didn't understand what it meant to ship plants. The plants took atleast 10 days to get to me and 'looked' dead. I took it upon myself to ensure that I would turn them around and I did. I still have them and that was a year ago!

Honestly, I like not knowing what the full potential of the plant is when I get it. It's like a great mystery to me and I really enjoy watching it mature and turn into something that it never looked like. Some of my greatest species came to me as dying weeds, if you will. They all turned out to be some of the most beautiful plants that I now house in my aquariums.

Some of my greatest species came to me as dying weeds

That is my feeling as well. As long as there is some life left in a plant, and you have a good set up. Also, excepts for a few of the rosette Eriocaulons. It does not matter how much of a plant you start with, you will soon have an abundance of that plant.

As a beginner, It is probably best to start with quality plants from a reputable source. IME, Lowcoaster is that source. You can tell him about your set up and experience level and get some good suggestions as to what plants to start with.

The only problem is that I don't have what you would call "a great setup." I am basically using the stock setup from when I origionally purchased the tank. I only have 2 flourescent bulbs, a heater, and extremely good water circulation. I don't have CO2 and the high-tech lighting that is "needed." As important as light is, I am completely unsure as to how well the plants could be revived.

AquariumPlants is a reputable source as well. Their plants are beautiful! Just look at my 40g journal in the aquascaping section. :D The first pic was probably a day or so after I got my package from AP....and most of the plants were in good condition. I had some Ludwigia that was pretty melted, but its coming back to life.

I didn't have the same experience as ya'll from Lowcoaster, but it has been awhile since I ordered, so maybe his quantities and plant sizes have changed. I've heard alot of good things about him though.

I agree that you can bring alot of plants back to life when they look dead. I personally don't buy from chain stores though because they sell some non-aquatic plants and have some mislabeled, so I don't want to support that, but that's just me.

One tip, pay for atleast 2nd day shipping or next day if its not too much. The longer plants are in the mail (especially if the temps dip below freezing), the worse condition they are going to be in. I got mine shipped 2nd day, although they arrived the next day.

Another good place to look for plants is on forums like this and the planted forums (plantedtank.net and aquaticplantcentral.com). If you want some more common plants, post in the buy/trade/sell section here (forgot exactly what its called :rolleyes:) and chances are someone may have it. I've found that quantities from other aquarists are more generous and cheaper! :)

The best values and highest quality plants are usually found on forums (here, AC, APC) and at club meetings/events (swap meets, auctions).

Sometimes you can find decent specimens at chain stores, more frequently at mom&pop type LFS carry decent plants, but they won't generally be as large or as many stems/$ etc. as you get when forum members trim their own tanks.

Back
Top Bottom