Niger trigger behavior...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin0329

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a niger trigger that I have had for close to 4 or 5 months. I think it is the coolest fish in my tank with my lunar wrasse a close second. Anyways, I was curious about how skiddish it is. I can sit across the room on the couch sitting still and observe it for hours and it is very active. However, when I make the slightest move, it runs and hides. It can even see me from about 10 feet away making the smallest movements. It eats well and is growing fast to prove it. Its getting close to 6 inches now. It does show that its boss towards all other fish in the tank, but none of the other fish hide when I approach the glass. I was just curious if this is the "normal" behavior of this breed or if its simply my fishes personality. I'm sure hoping he grows out of it.

My Niger trigger is about the same size and does exhibit similar behavior. Never really noticed it, but now that you mention it. He is a big scardy cat. However, I am able to hand feed mine. He takes dried krill and mysis for my hand. Very sweet IMO. Good luck

Just the individual personality. Mine bites my hand even if I have no food LOL. He swims up against the front glass all day even when my face in practically touching the tank.

I think most all the triggers act like that,...mine ( rectangular ) is also a big scaredy cat lol.... Even when snorkeling with them in Hawaii,..they all seem to act a little skittish when you approach them or look their way,...kinda funny cuz they can be so aggressive too when they want to be...all in all they are a super cool critter to have.

crister13 said:
I guess i got lucky. Or I'm a fish whisperer LOL.

Lol i can see that being the next show on animal planet or natgeo. I am Caesar Milan, i rehabilitate fish and i train people. I am the fish whisperer.

Back
Top Bottom