Niosy pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

watergate

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!

All new to this hobby. Just got an old aquarium. The problem is that the pump is humming when sitting on the glas. Quite annoing. If that is the case with all pumps I don't want to have an aquarium. Is it possible to get a pump that doesn't make any noise or can I do something about my old pump to stop the resonance

are you talking about an air pump? if so you dont need it anyways, if you are using a HOB filter (ones that hang on the back) or any filter that creates surface movement really, will supply the oxygen needed for your fish.

air pumps dont create much oxygen, they are more for looks for those that enjoy them. filters that create surface agitation will create far more oxygen then an air pump ever could.

I am a bit confused, the pump "sits on the glass" and is an "inner filter pump." Is this an outside power filter? A box on outside of aquarium, hanging over top of aquarium? You can lessen sound of box rattling and vibrating against glass with a thin foam or sponge pad between filter and glass. Pet shops sell such things, but you can use thin kitchen sponge or foam packing sheets that are wrapped around electronics and other stuff you buy, or thin bubble wrap.

Also check the impeller and its compartment for debris, like a small piece of gravel.
But since you just got an old aquarium, is the pump old too? The bearings and gears do wear out over time, . Worn bearings could cause the impeller to wobble and hit against sides. Worn bearings and gears just make more noise than new ones. Depending on brand there may be rebuild kits and replacement parts available.

If none of that, or a new pump don't help, you could always do what my son's did when there cars started making a noise, turn up the stereo or wear ear plugs!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom