Nipped Dorsal Fin: Black Skirt tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeanerOH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently acclimated my first 3 fish into my new cycled aquarium. They have been in there about a week and finally eating well, playing, etc. I have two smaller males and one larger male (larger is relative as they are very small fish). I've noticed that the dorsal fin of the larger one is nipped away. I originally thought it was a coloring fluke due to their fin color changes, but it is now quite noticeable.

They are in a 10 gallon new tank set up 11/5/12 and running ever since. Fish-less cycled and water tested (by LFS as I am still getting my Master kit). The smaller ones are quite healthy and have no fin issues and the larger is happy other than the fin nips.

Could the smaller ones be bullying the larger one? Would getting a few more larger/smaller affect the mood since they like to school at 5/6?

Thanks in advance! :thanks:

Eric

I'm new to this forum and am learning about fish more and more each day but I have found out on here and with experience that find do grow back as long as its not to the base of the tail. I am not sure about bullying but I can try to look it up for you. I know some fish are territorial then others but I have never had your type of fish so I don't know their specifics.

I've noticed that he does have some see-through fin skin growing back, but I'm worried that they might still nip at him.

Back
Top Bottom