Nirates Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilikefishes

Aquarium Advice Freak
My nitrates tested 80ppm!

I thought plants are supposed to lower them as nitrates serve as a fert?

And I think my well water already has high nitrates. How do I lower them?

80ppm is dangerous to your fish. Do a large PWC immediately. Plants will use up some of the nitrates, but they aren't a replacement for PWCs. I can't imagine your tap has anywhere close to 80ppm nitrate, but I've heard of 20ppm before. Some build a denitrator. I don't know the specifics as I've never needed one, but I think it uses sulfur. Others use RO/DI water.

What kind of plants do you have? How about lights, co2, dosing? You could just have a bunch of slow growing plants that don't use up that many nitrates.

I agree with doing some water changes to get your nitrates down. I'd be curious to see what your tap water actually tests at.

My python just broke two days ago, and I did a 75% PWC that day, and a 50% the day before. I don't substitute my PWCs with plants. I do two PWC's a week, They were at 5% the week before. I don't know what the heck happened.

i had well water that had 80ppm. i upped my lighting and co2 (also had to add other ferts)
how much of a bioload do you have? what type of plants?
do you dose other ferts or co2?

It's not at all uncommon for the Nitrate levels to change in City Water, especially with the shift of seasons in the spring and fall. I would definitely recommend testing your source water to see if the levels have changed.

unless your nitrates are originating from your water source. which is just going to make your nitrates worse.

I do dose ferts daily. I use Kent Plant growth Accelerator, 15ml Every week, and 8 drops of Kent Plant supplement every day. and i know there's some old plant tabs in there that my python wouldn't suck up.

Back
Top Bottom