Nitrate - Best Way to Reduce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mooncrow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi ...
I haven't posted here for a while ... that's because your previous advice was helpful, that my Orandas have been healthy, happy, and growing. As a reminder, I have 3 in a 29 gal tank. The tank finally "cycled" and the water is crystal clear. I've been doing weekly partial water changes, but by Sunday of each week the nitrate level is back up to "stress" level, according to the test strip. I haven't purchased the test tube nitrate kit yet, but plan to this week. As I stated, my fish seem happy enough, other than "Little Guy" resting on the bottom a lot more than the other two. He's hungry enough when he notices me lifting the lid, so I'm not sure if the nitrate is affecting him or not. I'd like to reduce the nitrates naturally ... like with live plants, but I've heard this is tricky with goldfish, since they often eat the plants and cause ammonia/nitrite spikes. Can anyone offer advice? Thanks so much for being here ....

Although I don't keep any goldfish I have read that they are rough on plants. My first suggestion would be to increase the frequency and/or volume of your water changes. Don't exceed 50% volume during each change though.

Thanks for replying. I was hoping to "limit" the water changes to every other week if possible, but hey .... I was doing almost daily changes after I set up my tank because the tank had not cycled and I was such a novice. I was determined not to kill my fish through ignorance however. :wink:

Goldfish are very messy by fish standards, and produce a lot of waste. 3 orandas in a 29 gallon tank makes for a heavily stocked tank IMO, and I just don't think you can get away with biweekly changes, even if you add plants. What filtration are you using? Maybe if you add another filter it would help. Also, you will get much more accurate results if you invest in a liquid reagent test kit. :mrgreen:

Agreed. The only way for you to keep the nitrates under control are with more frequent water changes.

The only way to remove nitrate is to take it out of the tank physically - plants will lock in the nitrates, but as they get eaten/decompose the nitrates are released back in the tank. Filters won't help with nitrates either - unless you are deligent in cleaning out the filters frequently <thus removing the gunk from the tank>. PWC is really the easiest way to remove nitrates.

Having a lot of fast growing plants will lock in & decrease the nitrates ... and you remove the nitrates from yor system by regular pruning of excess growth/ dead leaves, etc. Doing this is prob more work that weekly PWC's although I find that enjoyable.

Goldies are not totally incompatable with plants. Hornworts, Java ferns & java moss are some examples of goldies safe plants. I personally have lots of luck with hornwort - grows fast, little care needed except for regular pruning.

Having said all this - I am still doing weekly 10-15% water changes in my tank, even tho it is planted ... and it is less heavily stocked than yours by comparision.

Yep, water changes are the way to go. weekly or twice a week. Before making a final decision on the adequacy of your water change routine, run a quality liquid test. You may be pleasantly surprised. My wife keeps a stocked fancy goldie tank, keeps the nitrates under ten with twice a week changes.

Also check your tap water for nitrate, you may be putting water in the tank that already has 25ppm.

Filters

I'm running a double bio wheel for up to 75 gal, a topfin for a 29 gal tank, and a smaller filter system that has the charcoal, sponge, etc. Almost looks ridiculous lined up all the way across the back and the hood not exactly fitting right. All this for 3 goldies in a 29 gal tank.

Back
Top Bottom