Nitrate disappear somehow and ph raised from 7.2-8.2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sai Sauce

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm still cycling my tank with three fishy in there. Three days ago I test the water right away when I add the fish and ammonia seem to appear at 25ppm and ph was 7.2. The day after that I test it again and nitrate appeared to 20ppm and ph raids to 7.8 and ammonia disappear. I didn't test the water the day after that but today I test the water, my ph raised to 8.2 and nitrate disappear. So is this normal? And this is a brackish cycling.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you've not done any water changes, it's not normal for the nitrate levels to drop like that.

It's possible that your test just didn't work out right - you have to shake that tube really, really hard to get a proper result.

Also, I'm surprised that the PH went up. Usually, in a cycling tank, the PH is more likely to drop than to go up. Is there anything in your tank that could be raising the PH, for example, stones, or marble chips, anything like that?

I have live rocks, but planning on taking it out.

Using My iPad and I Love Fishes! <~8~>

So like the tank water evaporated to around almost below 3/4, should I just add water or do a little water change? And I haven't done any water change for a while.

I have live rocks, but planning on taking it out.

If it's what I'm thinking of, live rock can definitely increase the PH and I don't think you should have it in a freshwater aquarium. It's more of a salt-water aquarium thing.

Oh it's a brackish btw lol

Sure, but brackish is just a freshwater aquarium with a bit of salt added. A marine aquarium (full on saltwater aquarium) works quite differently. :)
You maintain the water differently, use different lights, even.

Freshwater and brackish are essentially the same when it comes to what kind of filtration you use, how you establish the cycle etc.

Oooooh, and thanks for the help tho!

It's a pleasure, and good luck!
Cycling a tank takes patience and time, so please ask here again if things don't make sense.

Back
Top Bottom