Nitrate help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
My nitrates are around 40 ppm to 80 ppm!!!! I do 50 percent water changes every week and I have 2 filters running on my 40 gallon tank ?.

Other results..

Ph- 7.4
Ammonia between .25 and 0
Nitrite- .25

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

You failed to mention the number, type, and size of live stock and how much they are fed.
Over filtration won't help with nitrates. WCs will. You may have to either increase the WCs, reduce feeding, reduce stocking, or a combination of the above.
The fact that there are detectable amounts of ammonia and nitrite means indicates overstocking, over feeding and/or inadequate filtration.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You failed to mention the number, type, and size of live stock and how much they are fed.
Over filtration won't help with nitrates. WCs will. You may have to either increase the WCs, reduce feeding, reduce stocking, or a combination of the above.
The fact that there are detectable amounts of ammonia and nitrite means indicates overstocking, over feeding and/or inadequate filtration.

40 gallon bowfront. They get fed 1x every other day. Once a week water changes

1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino senegalus polypterus
6x giant danio.
1x Bolivian ram

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Did you type it in on aqadvisor just to get a rough estimate?

Giant danios take up a lot of space. Though they aren't huge they do require a bit of room and are kind of messy.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Giant danios take up a lot of space. Though they aren't huge they do require a bit of room and are kind of messy.

Someone did it for me before. (Another member on here) and tye said I'm around like 110% which isn't too bad. I keep up with maintenance

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

What maintenance do you perform on your filter? Do you vacuum the gravel? It seems like either there's not enough bio filter capacity or something disrupted your cycle.

I'm getting aqua advisor saying you're 120% stocked and a warning that the leopard dude is too big for the tank.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

What maintenance do you perform on your filter? Do you vacuum the gravel? It seems like either there's not enough bio filter capacity or something disrupted your cycle.

I'm getting aqua advisor saying you're 120% stocked and a warning that the leopard dude is too big for the tank.

I'm getting the same thing using a 46 gallon bow's dimensions since the 40 isn't listed.

Could be, I have a 29g with 7 giant danios and 7 hill streams and nitrates build up quick.

Leopard ctenopoma can be housed in 29 gallons. I will have to go against aqua advisor on this one as they just sit in my leaves and wait to ambush!!!
-
As far as maintenance, for my water changes (once every week) I use the spot by spot technique. As far as the filters there's an aqua clear 30 and a national geographic 40.

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Well guys just woke up and found zero danios in my tank ???. And the leopard ctenopoma with a big stomach....

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

The leopard must have been a decent size to eat those. I read that they get to 6" and require a 50g minimum tank size (as per LiveAqua). Not sure if it makes a difference that the leopard is an ambush predator. I think its safe to say the bioload just dropped.
I'm thinking the filters you are currently running are inadequate for your setup and livestock because of the trace ammonia and nitrite. You could add more biomedia in place of the carbon insert in the AC30. Increasing the effectiveness of mechanical filtration will help along with regular maintenance on the filter. Adding floss will help trap debris. If it is changed frequently, it will be removed before it gets a chance to break down (and add to the nitrate level). Swishing the biomedia in tank water will help remove particulate matter. This will help maintain effect bio filtration and reduce nitrates.

The leopard must have been a decent size to eat those. I read that they get to 6" and require a 50g minimum tank size (as per LiveAqua). Not sure if it makes a difference that the leopard is an ambush predator. I think its safe to say the bioload just dropped.
I'm thinking the filters you are currently running are inadequate for your setup and livestock because of the trace ammonia and nitrite. You could add more biomedia in place of the carbon insert in the AC30. Increasing the effectiveness of mechanical filtration will help along with regular maintenance on the filter. Adding floss will help trap debris. If it is changed frequently, it will be removed before it gets a chance to break down (and add to the nitrate level). Swishing the biomedia in tank water will help remove particulate matter. This will help maintain effect bio filtration and reduce nitrates.

Yea my leopard is around the 5 inch mark. I had an aqua clear 55 on my tank with my aqua clear 30. Unfortunately the 50 broke and I purchased the nat geo 40 (which keeps my water crystal clear). There is no poop on the substrate.

-
About liveaquaria they say a senegalus polypterus (regular bichir) should be in a 90 gallon aquarium(they rarely pass the 8inch mark) while the speckled bichir can be housed in a 50 even tho it gets to a foot long? Doesn't make much sense to me

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425230765.591166.jpg
According to aqua advisor I have plenty of filtration and it only recommends a 30% water change a week.... (This is without the danios)

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

View attachment 265921
According to aqua advisor I have plenty of filtration and it only recommends a 30% water change a week.... (This is without the danios)

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

But the reality is, you are seeing 40-80 nitrates even with 50% WCs. The nitrates can also come from buildup of waste in the substrate.
One last thing...have you tested your tap water for nitrates?

But the reality is, you are seeing 40-80 nitrates even with 50% WCs. The nitrates can also come from buildup of waste in the substrate.
One last thing...have you tested your tap water for nitrates?

Yes and they start at 20ppm. I just don't know how to get rid of them. I just did a 50% wc today

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Back
Top Bottom