Nitrate Level in TAP WATER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis32

Aquarium Advice Regular
EDIT: The title should say NITRITE level, and NOT NITRATE level!

I am completely stumped! I have begun cycling my aquarium, however, I was curious about my tap water and decided to test it. I ran the faucet for a while and then filled a test tube up with water straight from the tap, and my Nitrite level was a very dark purple, like 5.0 PPM (I used the API freshwater test kit). I did this multiple days and at multiple sinks. Is it possible for tap water to be that high on Nitrites all the time? If so, what can I do about it? Please help!

Last edited:
Do you have a well? If so has it been raining a lot? With wells particles and other substances can get into the water during or shortly after rain, i have to test mine for ammonia before i do changes

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Also, I use Prime and Stability when doing water changes

Huh that's weird. Unfortunately in that case im not sure if it will be a constant issue, hopefully one of the more senior members will jump on this and give is some more info

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Ask your city about the nitrite levels in the water. Ask them for any water quality reports they have.

If my city has really high Nitrite levels, does that mean I can't have an aquarium, or is there some other thing I could do to keep the Nitrites minimal or at 0.

If my city has really high Nitrite levels, does that mean I can't have an aquarium, or is there some other thing I could do to keep the Nitrites minimal or at 0.

Once you are cycled it will take care of the nitrites. BUT my concern would be your health drinking this water. Especially if you have young children in the household. I would still contact the city water department.

Thanks everyone for the responses! So to make sure I have this correct, Once my tank is cycled, the high Nitrites in my tap water will not matter? Just an FYI, I am using a Marineland Emperor 400 and a Penguin 350 for my filtration (75 gallon tank). Finally, should I even bother with water changes then, since my Nitrites won't go down until the the cycle is over? Also, other readings are currently, Ammonia 0, and Nitrates 40.

Thanks Mikem691 for the link! I will call city hall first thing tomorrow morning and inquire with them and get to the bottom of this Nitrite situation! Thanks

The problem you will have is high nitrates from the nitrites being converted. Prime should make it safe till converted to trates. I keep my nitrates under 20 but you may just have to be happy with maintaining 40 in the tank.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. What do you think I should do in regards to water changes, if any?

I'm not too sure but you will need to still do them or your nitrates will get out of hand. I'm not sure if there is something you can add to your filter to help control the nitrites. I have never had this problem.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom