Nitrate level question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis32

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just wondering what the typical (safe) level is for nitrates? Also, what would you consider high and/or dangerously high? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Imo 10ppm is optimal but 20ppm is normal. 40ppm is high, but anything >40ppm definitely becomes dangerous especially over time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Imo 10ppm is optimal but 20ppm is normal. 40ppm is high, but anything >40ppm definitely becomes dangerous especially over time.

Unless you have Discus, this is a good general guideline. My GBRs and Cardinal Tetras do fine at 10-15 ppm.

Some species, such as Goldfish, will do OK over 40 ppm. But it's best to not go there if you can avoid it. As long as your tank isn't highly overstocked, a weekly 20-50% water change should keep you below 40 ppm.

Unless you have Discus, this is a good general guideline. My GBRs and Cardinal Tetras do fine at 10-15 ppm.

Some species, such as Goldfish, will do OK over 40 ppm. But it's best to not go there if you can avoid it. As long as your tank isn't highly overstocked, a weekly 20-50% water change should keep you below 40 ppm.

Ohh, forgot about the Discus. They're so picky, lol.

Under weekly water changes and good stocking you shouldn't be exceeding 40ppm anyway. But I agree with this. With discus I wouldn't exceed 20ppm preferably 10ppm.

Caleb

Different fish probably have different tolerances, but a good general rule is "the lower the better". Keep in mind that even with weekly 50% PWCs, your nitrates will keep slowly increasing and eventually exceed 20, 40 or whatever ppm. This results in what's called Old Tank Syndrome, and it will happen to all aquariums unless steps are taken to completely zero out the nitrates. Math is an unforgiving mistress.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I like to stay below 60, but I haven't tested in months. It's not a big concern unless you have rams or discus

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom