Nitrate problem... Hornwort ... Aquarium salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chillie308

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok here's my issue my city water has high nitrates I just finished my fishless cycle on my 60 gallon and today did a 90% water change followed by a 30% with RO water (tested at 10ppm) and added my fish but my nitrate levels are still 40ppm on API freshwater. That led me to test my city water. I did add the recommended dosage of aquarium salt to my tank. Would that kill off Hornwort? I know salt isn't good for plants. I also added 3/4 liter of Matrix in my HOB filter. I'm desperate to find something to lower nitrates any info what may help me would be great. I have a 60 gallon and a 20 gallon set up now and one more 55 gallon begging to be set up also. My RO system only produces 2 gallons per hour so it isn't feasible for me to do that.

Was wondering what your city water tested for regarding the nitrates and also why the aquarium salt was added?

From memory I think 1 teaspoon per 5 gal salt is ok. This was from another member's tank though and it may also depend what salt level your tap water is as well.

I'm only really aware of the RO solution, then nitrate loving plants or seachem matrix as you have (unless you added a specific denitrifying filter to be more efficient maybe).

40 ppm isn't bad depending on your fish.

Yeah, if you have a RO machine that's probably your best option.

What are your city water NO3 levels, exactly?

Back
Top Bottom