Nitrate problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bella1234

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30 gallon cichlid tank.
Right now I have approximately 8 inches of fish.
I want to add more fish. I have not because my Nitrate level will not go down
Ammonia, nitrite, Ph, are all perfect.

I have tried using the nitrate filter pad and just ordered some nitrate remover
on line.
My water is crystal clear, All of my fish appear to be in good health.

I use stability along with the chlorine remover during water changes.
I have also been putting beneficial bacteria at least weekly.
I have 2 filters a 50 gallon biowheel and a 10 gal underwater.

One site I read stated the nitrate levels were not really that toxic to the fish.
I am confused due to different advice and all parameters are excellent except the Nitrate It has never been below 80.
Thank You.

How often do you do water changes and how much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

water change

Usually every 2 weeks, 1/3 maybe a little more at times.

I do not know exactly I have to go by site because the water container is 5 gal
and I cannot carry it full.

I have tested the Austin water and it has .50 ammonia.
I do not overfeed, in fact sometimes I think it is not enough, the fish are always
hungry when i feed them, once a day.

Also wondering on H2O changes , Nitrates are basically the end of the line as far as the cycle goes and really the only way to get rid of excessive levels is with a water change.Plants help lesson the build-up as well since they use some of the nitrates ,
Nitrate 's high= water change.

Nitrates never below 80 , that's wicked high. You need to get them down.

Keep in mind that in theory a 50% water change should lower them to 40 , and another 50%change should get them to 20 +or - so to speak. Keep in mind that the nitrates will still keep building between changes.

If it was me I would drain 50% and change it. You don't necessarily have to measure the water but when you change it just drain tank to about half way by eye.

Conflicting info alert! Nitrate toxicity is quantity, time, species, size, temperature etc etc etc dependent and nitrates at 80ppm are not going to harm your fish. They look fine right? Your fish will tell you if something is wrong so don't panic.

That being said, it's always best practice to keep them and encourage others to keep them low.

50% water changes per week will help to keep them low. Adding floating plants will keep them lower too. A floating plant like duckweed is great for nitrates and provides a nutritious snack for fish. Little illuminous green poops!

Running carbon will help remove some of the dissolved organics that build up quickly via cichlids and seem to contribute towards algae. Filter floss replaced regularly will keep the tank cleaner still. Couple this with your water changes once per week will enable you to give the fish a little bit more come dinner time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If your fish are plant killers you can think about adding a houseplant with roots in an HOB filter. I believe Pothos is a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your fish are plant killers you can think about adding a houseplant with roots in an HOB filter. I believe Pothos is a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 nice alternative to floating plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

8 inches of fish means nothing, what particular species and what current size? 30 gallons is only suitable for a few species.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom