nitrate quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clockradio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I did a pwc yesterday due to my nitrate being a high. I checked again today and it looks like its about 40ppm. is this ok or should I do another pwc. if so how soon can I do it? eveything else seems normal.

You want to try toget it under 20 ppm. You can do another water change today. Your fish will love you for all the clean fresh water.

You can do a pwc every day, IMO you can't overchange the water. How often do you feed your fish? I had a problem with nitrates and didn't realize I was overfeeding my fish. I cut back on the feedings and the nitrates stay below 20 ppm now.

You can do a pwc every day, IMO you can't overchange the water

Really :!: I was curious about that. I was always afraid that I might do some damage if I did it too often. As far as feeding, I feed them twice a day and just enough so theres nothing left after 2-4 min. Is there some other measurement I could use?

I'm actually looking foward to doing a water change. Got a new python, any reason to use it.

thanx y'all

oh I forgot to ask, should I vacume the gravel everytime or like every week? I know its a dumb question but rather be sure. :roll:

As long as your nitrates are high I would vacuum the gravel. Once they stabalize once a week is fine.

I would do 30% water changes daily for the next three days. That should get your level down. How often are you currently doing water changes?

I do them weekly at about 50%
is this enough or should i change less % more often

That's all up to you. As Zagz stated above, you can't overchange the water. A single large PWC a week, or several small ones, same results. The fish will love you when you do it. :)

I would do several larger water changes over the next few days to get the level down. Then maintain the level by doing changes twice a week. With the fish that you currently have, I can't imagine why the Nitrates would be so high unless they are being overfed.

I recently had to do 4 50-60% pwc's within just over a 24 hour period. I was in emergency mode, but still...no harm to the fish, and they really seemed to enjoy the water changes--they would come and frolic near the python as the new water was coming in.

thanks for the help y'all
the nitrates are down to what looks like 20ppm but i'll do another pwc today just to be sure
again thanks

I'm sorry, I didn't notice the second page.
I use the Ap FW Master Test Kit. I try to test at least weekly. I guess I must be over feeding unless I'm screwing up the test. Either way I'll do a pwc today.

I feed twice a day. Mostly some shrimp pellets and flakes. I feed about 6 pellets and about 3/4 of those little rubber tiped baby spoons. What do you thnk?

Maybe just feed the pellets once a day and cut back a little on the flakes. See how the nitrates do. How large are the angels? Any pics?

Back
Top Bottom