NitrAte spike, what causes it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The flow inside an HOB would be too fast for plants. Marimo balls do next to nothing as far as water quality goes because its one of the slowest growing algae. I've seen HOB filters being used as refugiums, but you have to switch out the motor to slow down the flow. PITA IMO and not worth it.

I'm not sure about oscars but I have discus and lost one due to high amonia, PH levels after a water change. I had off the scale NitrAtes and NitrItes which caused the death of two of my discus..I beleive They were pretty small to begin with and I made the mistake of not putting enough Prime in the water. I learned to treat my water for water change over couple of days until the chlorine and chloramine is eliminated. Because I have discus I also use Seachem Discuss buffer to lower the pH. After a couple of days my water for water change is great and my fish are happy.

I have been following intently ......my conclusion....BAD KIT....

Anyone else? I'd like to hear what Malawi and Jmedic have to say.

Took another test with the NEW kit, after I cleaned the fx5 and the AC 110. Cleaning was done approximately 4 hours ago.

View attachment 86872

View attachment 86873

Side not. For some reason now I'm getting 0.25ppm of ammonia from the tap. Something I'll keep in mind.

Last edited:
Definitely bad test kit. Didnt you just recently buy it too, like just a couple months ago? Have you gotten the sera in yet? You will be much happier with that.

Malawi Freak said:
Definitely bad test kit. Didnt you just recently buy it too, like just a couple months ago? Have you gotten the sera in yet? You will be much happier with that.

Tracking says should be here Monday. And yup! Bought the new kit 3 months ago. But it turns out to be the kit.

Can't wait for the sera to come!!

And I shouldn't have said I bought a whole kit just the NitrAte kit I bought.

Back
Top Bottom