Nitrate/water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codyheitmiller

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a 29g bowfront and full of corals, and 4 fish. No hob filter, just a skimmer, 50 lbs of live sand (3-4 inches) and 50lbs of live rock and alot of micro algae. I do 25% water changes weekly, but neglected my tank for a few weeks and now have 40ppm nitrates. Should I do 50% changes every 3 days to bring it down?
2 clowns
1 bi-colored blenny
1 blue tang (1/2 inch) (putting him in my bigger tank when the time comes)
2 emerald crabs
15 hermits
15+ snails.
I feed no more then a cube a day.
Should I increase my water changes more also?

Why don't you do 50% everyday then when you reach the level you want switch back to your 25% if that was working.

Codyheitmiller said:
I was told doing that would make your tank re cycle

It most likely will, do the 50% water change, test every day, and don't miss the weekly water changes, and things will go back to normal. You seem to have a good setup..... Changing 50% everyday will basically wipe out bad & good critters from your water Column ... Making it hard for your tank to wipe out the nitrates in the future.

BTW THIS IS IMO :)

And it won't kill anything? I have some pretty nice corals, and my clownfish finally started breeding after 5 years. I am afraid of losing them.

If your tank is cycled and you have live rock and sand in it you can do a 100% water change and still be cycled. Very little of the beneficial bacteria is in the water so it's safe to do 50% changes. I've been known to do a 50% change on my tanks with no mini cycles to speak of.

I know you said youre moving the blue tang, but in all fairness he shouldnt be in a 29g tank even temporarily. :-D

I don't agree. The BB that you need for the cycle/ammonia conversion reside in the rocks....etc. The bad nitrates reside in the water. You could conceivably do a 100% water change in an emergency and still be ok. I am not suggesting you try that, but you can do several big water changes to get the nitrates down and do no harm. Just make sure the salinity and temp of the water that you are adding match.

Thanks guys. Just did a 50% I'll keep you guys posted and try and get some pictures. (blue tang is in there so the lion fish won't get him)

Back
Top Bottom