Nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cappa565

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,
Silly question but cant seem to find the answer, what should my nitrates be in my aquarium!!!

My fighting fish tank is a 22litre, nitrates are at 40ppm before water change!

Main tank is 100L nitrates are at 40ppm after a change!
Is this good or should i be aiming for lower numbers.
Thanks

It's the tank planted? If not I would try to get them down a bit but 40 isn't crazy high, if you want to lower them and benefit the tank throw some low light low maintenence plants in there.

Yeah both tanks are planted my 100litre one has alot of plants my 20litre has an anubis and wisteria i think its called

Heavily planted I would cut back on ferts a bit if you do dose, seems the plants aren't consuming the nitrates as they might not be nitrate hogs, are the tanks heavily stocked with fish?

Just checked now nitrates are at 20 is that okay

20litre has 1 fighter and a snail
100litre has 2 baby firemouths
6 tetras
2 pigmy coreys
1 pleco
1 big snail his like a golfball
And 3 loaches

The 100 liter is heavily stocked, what loaches as say horseface, clowns have to be in a125 gallon don't know what that is in liters do you have good strong filtration on that setup general rule is 10x turnover well that's what I go by and then some as I'm running 14x turnover, what type of substrate?

So you would aim for a filter that does 1000 liters per hour to gain the 10x

The loaches are khali loaches ahaha not the big guys

I think never higher than 20 ppm. That should be the day you change water

I think never higher than 20 ppm. That should be the day you change water
Nitrate is so misunderstood, there have been No studies on warm water fish but 1, that was on guppy fry and it killed them at 900 ppm, yes there are fish that can't handle nitrates like rays , discus etc etc, 20 is not bad as 5-40 is what people aim for especially with planted tanks, on the ops tank they will never get it down as the op is overstocking a 5 gallon, he would have to gravel vac and do multiple water changes a week. Or stuff the tank with nitrate eating plants

Nitrates between 10-30ppm are perfectly fine especially for a planted tank. Keep in mind nitrates are MUCH less harmful than nitrites or ammonia. Nitrates as long as you have plants at those levels will keep them in check. One rule I keep by is if my API nitrate shows in the red which is 40ppm or higher I do a water change. But with they being said I have gotten by with 40-80ppm for a week at a time with zero issue. It's best though to keep your nitrates and phosphates at a 10:1 ratio for best results.

Maybe note if you are over feeding sometimes. Also maybe if you are and do not presently cut the amounts in 1/3rd to half.

Also try to feed AM & PM but the smaller amount of food divided.

The bottom feeders a little more than the 75% PM feeding and lighter like 25% in the AM and feed the top to lower column dwelling fish a little more in the AM and less in the night. To go along with the times that the fish might normally be foraging in nature.

Maybe note if you are over feeding sometimes. Also maybe if you are and do not presently cut the amounts in 1/3rd to half.

Also try to feed AM & PM but the smaller amount of food divided.

The bottom feeders a little more than the 75% PM feeding and lighter like 25% in the AM and feed the top to lower column dwelling fish a little more in the AM and less in the night. To go along with the times that the fish might normally be foraging in nature.
How do I do that @autumnsky I've been trying to get food to the bottom for my loaches but the rainbows are so dang fast lol?

How do I do that @autumnsky I've been trying to get food to the bottom for my loaches but the rainbows are so dang fast lol?

Use a feeding tube. My rainbows try to eat everything so fast. I bought a acrylic tube and drop the food where the Khuli's hang out.

Use a feeding tube. My rainbows try to eat everything so fast. I bought a acrylic tube and drop the food where the Khuli's hang out.

Yes!!! - and also try feeding the Loaches at dark tank time. At times, I have needed to turn out tank lights before normal tank lights and feed just a few minutes before the house is all dark/or as I turn off the last lights.

Hey guys been timing water changes, zero ammonia zero nitrite and 20ppm of nitrate, the 20litre has all zero and 10nitrate so i think its doing pretty good at the moment

Last edited by a moderator:
Ty very appreciated I did that with blood worms last night they were excited, I used a plastic straw I'll get something longer cause they come out looking at me like "hey you owner, where ours"

Yes!!! - and also try feeding the Loaches at dark tank time. At times, I have needed to turn out tank lights before normal tank lights and feed just a few minutes before the house is all dark/or as I turn off the last lights.
Lol the rainbows don't care they eat in the dark they are piglets and fast piglets at that err lol, I don't think they sleep honestly lol

Back
Top Bottom