Nitrates already on my fishless cycle??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good news! Ammonia and nitrites are 0ppm this morning. WOOHOO! Nitrates are 40ppm...could be 80. The reds look the same to me at that point. So, I add ammonia for a couple days and make sure it goes back to 0ppm for ammonia and nitrites with 24 hours right? Then big water change, then add fish?

I would do at least a small WC real soon. You are OK now but if the nitrates get real high your cycle can stall. Happened to me once.

OK....how small is a small water change on a 48 gallon tank? So, my cycle isn't finished then? I thought when the ammonia and nitrites went to 0 it was done? What do I do after the small water change?

Amonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrates high? You are done.
Small water change 10% (5 gallons on your tank) But if you plan on one large water change in the next 2 days don't worry about doing a small one. The small WC is just to keep the nitrates from going overboard if you will not be stocking the tank soon.

Am i supposed to bring the ammonia back up to 5 ppm to make sure it goes away within 24 hours? I read that in one of the fishless cycle instructions but they all say something different.

You don't have to get any amonia reading at all.
That simple fact that you are adding amonia ever day and it is getting taken care of is proof that your cycle is working.
The Teaspoon a day you are adding now is more than a fully stocked tank of fish will produce.

OK great! I'm so excited to get my fish in there. I'll wait a couple days to make sure things stay at 0ppm and then do the big water change. Is 50% enough or do more until the nitrates get down to less than 20ppm? It's ok to add the fish right after that right? Thanks for all the help! :)

Let's just say I'm really impatient. lol Could I do the big water change today and add the fish or is it safer to wait a couple days to make sure the levels are under control?

That is your call.
I was the same way when I fishless cycled my 75 and I added fish right away when I got good readings like you have and I never had a problem.

It would be a good idea to take a sample of your water to the pet store when you go for fish so they can verify your findings and test for other things you may not be testing for.

Well, I'm actually moving a lot of my fish from my super overstocked 10 gallon into this one. They tested my water at petsmart before and they used the test strips. I thought those weren't good? Is there anything else besides ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph that I should be testing for?
I think I'll try to contain myself until tomorrow or Wednesday to move my fish in...even though I really want to do it now. lol Thanks!

I would test your water straight from the tap and see what your nitrates are. If they are close to what you are getting from your tank's water then I'd say you are pretty much there. I don't think it would hurt to move a few small fish from your 10g if it is really crowded. Just make sure you get those nitrates down to a reasonable level.

Well, I guess I'm impatient! I did the big water change to bring the nitrates down to 10ppm. I'm tired now! lol My python hasn't come in yet and my tank is so tall that I have to climb a ladder to pour the buckets in. I did one 75% change, then had to do another 50% and then another 50% to get the levels right. I'm going to acclimate my fish since my tanks have different ph's for some strange reason. Then I'm going to have some happy fish! WOOHOO! I'm cycled! Thanks so much everyone....I appreciate all the help. :)

I'll take some as soon as I can. I haven't put the fish in yet. I'm putting in my 2 angels, 2 guppies and 2 albino corys. I might put in my dwarf gourami too but he's kind of sick so I might wait a bit for him. I'm going to get a few more fish tomorrow after work if I get finished early enough. Pics coming soon! :)

i dont know if you want to add that many fish to your tank at a time. someone who knows something chime in... now

From what I understand there are loads of beneficial bacteria when you do a fishless cycle from all the ammonia you put in. More than enough to handle more than the usual amount of fish. I asked about it in another thread here and people said to put everyone at once. They're in there now so hopefully it'll be fine. It's a 48 gallon tank so I think it should be ok. If it isn't....please let me know what to do.
Gotta admit....I'm a little freaked out now.

just keep checking your ammonia and nitrite. you have your test kits and they're gonna be your indicators and wil tell you if you have to do something.

Back
Top Bottom