Nitrates and PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incogneto21

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my API Master Test Kit said my Nitrate is between 20-40..... Is that safe? Also my PH Is 6.8, is that safe?

Nitrates between 20-40 are "safe" but you want them to be lower like 10-20 or ideally even lower. Is your tank cycled? Assuming it is, regular water changes will help to reduce nitrates. Ph is a different story. Different fish prefer different levels of ph. What size tank? Have you cycled it? What types of and how many fish? What is the ph of your source (tap?) water?

A ph of 6.8 is ok and almost neutral depending on the fish you want to keep. Nitrates of 20-40 isnt great if thats your tap water but its 'safe'

Nitrates aren't as toxic as ammonia but at high levels can be just as lethal. You don't have an immediate issue but it's in your best concern to get those levels down.

Nitrates between 20-40 are "safe" but you want them to be lower like 10-20 or ideally even lower. Is your tank cycled? Assuming it is, regular water changes will help to reduce nitrates. Ph is a different story. Different fish prefer different levels of ph. What size tank? Have you cycled it? What types of and how many fish? What is the ph of your source (tap?) water?

I have a 29g tank. It's cycled. I have 3 guppies and a candystripe pleco. The ph of the water is 6.8 (I just tested it)

Nitrates aren't as toxic as ammonia but at high levels can be just as lethal. You don't have an immediate issue but it's in your best concern to get those levels down.

Do I do daily 25% water changes until it's more down? Question if I do these daily 25% water changes do I siphon the gravel also?

You can use crushed coral to get your ph to 7 but you are better off knowing what the ph of your tap water is and sticking with that. Most fish will adapt to your ph but constantly trying to adjust it is a lot of work and could be stressful on your fish.

You can use crushed coral to get your ph to 7 but you are better off knowing what the ph of your tap water is and sticking with that. Most fish will adapt to your ph but constantly trying to adjust it is a lot of work and could be stressful on your fish.

Thank you so much!! The ph of my tap water is 6.8-7.0 so I'm fine with that. :)

A ph of 6.8 is good and the difference between 6.8 and 7 would make little to no difference to the fish youll probably end up keeping.

Do I do daily 25% water changes until it's more down? Question if I do these daily 25% water changes do I siphon the gravel also?

That depends, do you have fish in the tank? If you have no fish and you arnt in the process of a fishless cycle then the nitrAtes are almost certainly coming from your tap water. There would be no need for daily water changes or gravel vac with a fishless cycle.

If you have fish, and your tank isnt cycled yet i would recommend 50% daily. Ammonia created from the fishes waste, the gills and pretty much anything rotting in the tank is ALOT more dangerous. And with fish in, i would gravel vac too.

You should get the master api liquid test kit, it was one of my best buys ever. It helps let you know when you should change your water. Anytime my ammonia reading is over 0ppm I do a 25% water change. Do you have live plants? What kind of lights do you have?

You should get the master api liquid test kit, it was one of my best buys ever. It helps let you know when you should change your water. Anytime my ammonia reading is over 0ppm I do a 25% water change. Do you have live plants? What kind of lights do you have?

I do have that kit. I don't have plants and I have a regular light that comes in a hood.

How can I get my ph to 7.0 without adding chemicals?

Ph isn't important and yours is really good. Changing the ph of your water is just going to give you headaches down the road.

yes I would siphon the gravel but instead of a 25% change increase that up to 50%. It's still a safe amount of water to change and will work better at reducing nitrates.

Ph isn't important and yours is really good. Changing the ph of your water is just going to give you headaches down the road. yes I would siphon the gravel but instead of a 25% change increase that up to 50%. It's still a safe amount of water to change and will work better at reducing nitrates.

Ok if I do 50% water changes, how many consecutive days should I do it?

If you are at 40ppm nitrate. I believe if your remove %50 water you remove 20ppm nitrate (cutting ppm in half?) Anyone else agree?

Then another one to reduce from 20ppm to 10ppm?

Ok if I do 50% water changes, how many consecutive days should I do it?

If you are at 40ppm nitrate. I believe if your remove %50 water you remove 20ppm nitrate (cutting ppm in half?) Anyone else agree?

Then another one to reduce from 20ppm to 10ppm?

Krissycakes has it right. Each successive 50% change will take out half of the nitrate level. It takes about 5 25% water water changes to equal 2 50% water changes.

Cool, at least I am doing my WC correctly. I never did read up on it, just heard about it from one of you AA members=)

In a theoretically perfect world it would work every time. In the real world however, a 50% water change seldom if ever actually results in a 50% reduction in nutrients.

I wish there was a way to like/endorse responses.

You can thank someone for their post by hitting the thanks button on the bottom right. If your looking to endorse, then type something like "I agree with the above."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom