Nitrates at 50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi my nitrates are still at 50 after several water changes over last few days. Did 50% today internal filters cleaned sat and canister done around 2weeks ago I clean monthly.

My tank is fairly new but the filters im using on it were old cycle d filters from my previous two sets ups.

I have a subtropical tank 119gallons 465 litres.

Stocking

6fancy goldfish
2 variatus platys
5danios
4miniows

Always done 50% weekly changes on my old set ups due to the large water volume of the new tank I had decided on 2 weekly water changes of 25%. But cause of the high nitrates I did 40% sat 25% sun and 50% today and tested today 0 ammonia 0 nitrite but nitrate at 50.

I had been feeding 3 meals a day but reducing that to 2 and will target feed my baby black moor one extra meal. I feed sinking pellets to goldies which too big for schooling fish I feed the little guys a tiny pellet/wafer food twice a day.

How can I bring these nitrates down to a safer level.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Current filters

Ehiem 350 classic external canister 620lphr
2×internal 2012 pickups 220-500lphr
1 interpret internal PF2 500lphr

Also have almost a bare bottomed out tank with a few large pebbles dotted around on it. So no waste gets trapped there

Your Tank

Hello em...

Nitrates at 50 ppm isn't the end of the world. I don't know about the goldfish, but the others are hardy and will hardly notice this nitrate level. Invest in some floating plants like Hornwort, Anacharis or Pennywort to help lower the nitrates a bit. You can also check out a company that deals in nitrate removing filter medium. Acurel is a good company that's been in the aquarium business for decades.

Keep up with the large, water changes. Add the plants and media and a tank the size of the one you have can go a couple of weeks between those 50 percent water changes.

B

I've never used live plants before will these be easy ones for a beginner. I do plan on buying another canister soon so hopefully the larger volume of media will help. I had test done at LFS an aquatic centre who use liquid test today. My api master is due from Amazon on weds. Ive used b4 but run out so had to purchase again. I test quite regularly and in my old tanks my nitrates were always 20 or lower. I'll continue doing 2 25% water changes a week. And use the api test kit when it comes and see what's what again. Thanks for the advicebil get some floating plants.

I was wondering whether it was due to my level of stock and was considering moving my schooling fish into my spare 42 gallon.

Tested water again nitrate was at 40 did a 25% water change tested again and looking good.

Closer to 20

Attachments

• 1418331042043.jpg
    1418331042043.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 42
Goldfish ideally need it 20 or less. I think i Il do a big clean Sunday then test midweek. If nitrate good I'll go back to 50% wchanges once weekly . phew hard work

Back
Top Bottom