Nitrates drop by half in 24hrs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JWitter

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am about a month into a fishless cycle. PH 7.6, ammonia 2-3ppm, nitrites 1.0-2.0ppm, nitrates were 20ppm yesterday, today they appear 5.0ppm- 10ppm. Is there something wrong? Or is this normal.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are you using strips or solutions to test? Strips are less trustworthy. I'd retest and think about taking a sample in to your LFS. They usually do complimentary tests for the basic chemistry.

I have the API full freshwater test kit. I even double tested the nitrates tonight.

Hmmm... There's only a few things I can think of that wound cause that to happen:

Water change
Planted tank
Denitrifying bacteria.

You didn't do the first.
You didn't mention having the second (and the other levels should be lower, too)
The third....maybe, but I doubt it. Getting a colony large enough to have that big an effect isn't something that happens by accident.

I'm out of ideas, sorry :-(

No worries, I am gonna give it 24 hrs and check again.

Checked nitrates, they are around 5.0ppm, nitrites and ammonia holding steady. I added a bit more ammonia to boost the levels, added a pinch of fish food and turned heater up to 88. The only thing I have done recently to the tank is to top it off, add a couple new decorations, and moved a few fake plants around.

One other I have read is that the test itself may not be consistent. I've read that not only may it read high/low but not consistently high or low.

One guy from an aquarium group did test this using 20 people or so. Stuff like does it make much difference if you fill on the line or slightly above/below, etc.

From memory the tests did alright in consistency but will see if I can find this. Could be wrong as a few years back that I read it.

My testing seems to make sense with no odd results however I find some colours very hard to tell apart.

Also watch out for the extra drop of solution when moving the bottle away from the test tube. That will throw the test off

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did you carefully follow the directions for the nitrAte test kit? It's easy to get confused and shake the test tube for 30 seconds after adding bottle one; the instructions actually say shake the tube briefly and shake BOTTLE 2 for 30 seconds. It took me a couple times to realize my mistake. The test card doesn't make it very clear, but the instruction sheet does...

Found the link which I have included for interest.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/6/chemistry

Great article! Thank you for posting this as it attests to the variations among tests as well user variations even within a single type of test.

Op, I would not be overly concerned with nitrate levels right now. Just keep monitoring your ammonia and nitrite levels and watch for them to steadily zero out within 24hrs of dosing ammonia.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I checked levels again today, seems to be gaining a bit of ground. I also realize now that I took some of the decorations and plants out for about an hour the other day. So I could install some airlines under the gravel. Im thinking this is what caused the drop in nitrates.

The api nitrate test kits convert nitrate to nitrite and then tests the nitrite. Having nitrites can skew the results, but I doubt that's what is happening.

I agree, I wouldn't worry about it at all tbh. As long as the ammonia and nitrite are dropping, then it's a good thing. Also, are you following the test kit directions to the letter including timed shaking?

The api nitrate test kits convert nitrate to nitrite and then tests the nitrite. Having nitrites can skew the results, but I doubt that's what is happening.

I agree, I wouldn't worry about it at all tbh. As long as the ammonia and nitrite are dropping, then it's a good thing. Also, are you following the test kit directions to the letter including timed shaking?

Would you have link? I'm just wondering why the colour charts are different out of interest?

Would you have link? I'm just wondering why the colour charts are different out of interest?
Certainly, I'll try to dig it up tonight

I'm assuming the use of a different color is to be able to differentiate better. Theres only soo much more purple a test tube can get for nitrites.

Certainly, I'll try to dig it up tonight

I'm assuming the use of a different color is to be able to differentiate better. Theres only soo much more purple a test tube can get for nitrites.

Many thanks. Any info much appreciated as always.

I have followed the directions carefully from shaking the 2nd testing solution, to shaking the vial for a minute. I am guessing from my research that my adjustment to the plants and decorations is the cause of the drop in nitrates. Upon testing today my nitrite levels are lower and nitrates have increased. I think I may be back on track. I guess the 2nd guessing stems from this cycle taking a month already. Dec 22nd was my start date. Thanks for all the input and advice, much appreciated from everyone.

Back
Top Bottom