Nitrates help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csoutherland

Aquarium Advice Activist
He nitrates in my tank are at 80 ppm. I have been told by some fish stores that it is good to have them in there like that. Other stores tell me that they are bad. How can I at least lower them other then doing more water change and supplements?

I do that every week but it doesn't change and it it does they just get higher

Well, understand nitrates like this. If you do a 10% water change today, that will take 8 or your 80 out, leaving you with 72. This is why a large water change is sometimes necessary to get ahead of the battle and why we have other methods of nitrate removal like refugiums and algae turf scrubbers.

I would ask the LFS that told you high nitrates is good to explain their reasoning. I've never heard of a benefit, other than (for them ), it can kill your fish so that you have to buy more from them. Some nitrate is okay, especially in a FOWLR, but you really want to shoot for close to zero.

You need to figure out why the nitrates are high. How much and how often are you feeding? How many fish in what size tank?

Back
Top Bottom