Nitrates high after water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ariel97

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been trying to keep my tank 'perfect' and have an old cichlid [actually posted on him 2wks ago & decided he is just old] but have noticed now that w/ 25% water changes my nitrates are higher! what's up??? am I affecting the bio? haven't done too many, but just noticed that. the rest of the fish are fine so I doubt this is what triggered his decline, but why is this happening?
:eek:

High Nitrates

I have been trying to keep my tank 'perfect' and have an old cichlid [actually posted on him 2wks ago & decided he is just old] but have noticed now that w/ 25% water changes my nitrates are higher! what's up??? am I affecting the bio? haven't done too many, but just noticed that. the rest of the fish are fine so I doubt this is what triggered his decline, but why is this happening?
:eek:

Hello a...

Small water changes aren't very effective for keeping pollutants from building up in the tank water. If you're going to the effort of getting out the water change equipment, then I suggest you make it worthwhile by removing half the tank water. It doesn't take that much longer.

By flushing a lot of pure, treated tap water through the tank every week or so, you guarantee stable water conditions, because there isn't time for wastes to build up before the next water change.

You also don't need to test the water chemistry very often, if at all, because you know the water is always clean for the fish and plants.

Just a thought.

B

Back
Top Bottom