Nitrates too high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonniewoodruff

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was testing with the api test. After reading on here I decided to get a different test. The API test shows my nitrate levels as good almost 0. The salifert test shows they are 100! I have added Seachum stability and have done a pwc. I have 32 gallons mixing now. It is a 93 gallon tank. I have a refugium on the way. Does anyone know of any other way to get the nitrates down fast. I am so angry that the API test is so wrong. I thought I was doing everything right.:banghead:

To tell you the truth I always thought that the api test always showed high and the salifert showed low which I believed to be correct. As for lowering nitrates do your water changes, watch you don't over feed, keep the filter pad clean, use ro/di water and if all that fails you could vodka or vinegar dose although I prefer vinegar because it's cheaper and doesn't cause cyno like vodka does.

first off id take some water into your closest lfs and have them verify the test. just because its new and its safalert doesnt mean its 100% accurate. maybe the api is correct and the safalert is off. as for dealing with your nitrates, you absolutely have to do weekly water changes. no if's and's or but's. i would personally do 2-50% water changes over the course of a week. thatll get you back down around 25 ppm for trates. once you get a handle on that, id start looking for the root cause of your high trates. aas tone said, it could be overfeeeding, inconsistant water changes, dead spots in the water flow, etc.

Thanks for the advice. I know that my snowflake is a messy eater and I think I need more of a clean up crew. The refugium came in today and the clean up crew additions will be here tomorrow. I have done the water changes and they have come down, now to keep them there. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom