NitrAtes without nitrItes?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ElanaJoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi fishy friends. I started cycling Oct 30, and it is Nov 6th today. My question is, how is it possible for my nitrAtes to be going up and still have 0 nitrItes? It doesn't make sense to me from all I have read. Anyways, here is what has happened so far:

Day 1 Amm 6 Nii 0 Nia 0.5
day 2 3.5 0 7.5
day 5 1.25 .10? 10
day 7 0.25 0 20
I dosed ammo back up to 4 now...
And here I am. Does this make sense? I had a good amount of seeding material from the LFS.

I think my PH is around 7.5 if I recall from testing the first day. It's not that warm, I haven't purchased the correct size heater yet. There is SOME algae that started before I started cycling it (I had it just running with plain water for a while)... but not much.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Yes, this is possible. I had the same thing happen during my last fishless cycle. I tested all three parameters once a day, probably around the same time each day. Turns out that there WAS nitrites, however, the time I was testing was outside of the detectable "peak". I had a day off and decided to test for nitrites every 3-4 hours the next two days after dosing ammonia. I was able to catch a spike of nitrites during one of the tests; it was nearly back to zero at the next testing period.

Yes, this is possible. I had the same thing happen during my last fishless cycle. I tested all three parameters once a day, probably around the same time each day. Turns out that there WAS nitrites, however, the time I was testing was outside of the detectable "peak". I had a day off and decided to test for nitrites every 3-4 hours the next two days after dosing ammonia. I was able to catch a spike of nitrites during one of the tests; it was nearly back to zero at the next testing period.

Wow! Thanks. So it's likely cycling, and I should take my cue from the nitrates (if I don't have time to test throughout the day)?

How long ago did you cycle? All is still stable?

Back
Top Bottom