Nitrates won't go down?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teagybear

Aquarium Advice Regular
My nitrates absolutely will not go down. In the last hour, I have done a 90% and an 80% water change and the nitrates are still at 40 ppm? It's a 20 gallon.

My nitrates absolutely will not go down. In the last hour, I have done a 90% and an 80% water change and the nitrates are still at 40 ppm? It's a 20 gallon.

2 things to check:
#1- Make sure there isn;t a lot of detritus in the gravel which may be making your nitrates stay high or
#2: check the expiration date on your reagent. ( They are notorius for false readings if too old.)
mathmatically, you cannot dilute something by 90% without the reading going down 90% unless you are using water with a reading that equals what you are removing from the tank. My guess is that your tests are inaccurate. That or your gravel is Really, Really, Really, dirty that it pollutes the water in just an hour ;)

Try to use a second test kit or have your LFS test the water for you to confirm your readings.

Hope this helps (y)

Well that pretty much explains the problem. I've never had tap water with such high Nitrates before!! OUCH!!!! What are we doing to our water systems people???????

1 Possible solution: Set up a tank or garbage can with water and put a filter on it with Nitrate absorbing materials in the filter, before you need water for the water changes. Make it a continual thing. This way, you are always prepared. Other solutions could be more involved or more expensive.

Hope this helps

I would still take 2 samples to the lfs just for confirmation that its not your test kit. If your nitrates are that high from your tap I might consider contacting the city where you live. Not only is it hard on the fish but it not good for YOU!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would still take 2 samples to the lfs just for confirmation that its not your test kit. If your nitrates are that high from your tap I might consider contacting the city where you live. Not only is it hard on the fish but it not good for YOU!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would advise this as well. The EPA drinking water standard for nitrate is 10 ppm:

Basic Information about Nitrate in Drinking Water | Basic Information about Regulated Drinking Water Contaminants | US EPA

Yes, call your city. This is an illegal level, if you're on city water. If well water, then you'll need a different solution.

Honestly it might be worth it to get an RO/DI machine or something similar, since you shouldn't be drinking that water anyway.

Nitrate Level

Hello teag...

Get some floating plants into the tank. Anacharis and Hornwort are two of the best users of nitrates. There are nitrate reducing polyfiber filter pads you can use in your tank filter to help reduce nitrates too. Acurel has a very good product. Actually, a nitrate reading of 40 ppm isn't all that bad. Most aquarium fish tolerate a level of 50 with no problem. The key to a successful tank is to maintain pure water conditions with large, frequent water changes. Work toward a stable water chemistry, not a particular chemistry.

B

I don't want to call the city. I was going to get a 5 gallon culligan bottle and do water changes with that every other week. Would this pose a problem?

I don't want to call the city. I was going to get a 5 gallon culligan bottle and do water changes with that every other week. Would this pose a problem?

I've used Culligan filters for my Hatcheries and wholesale & retail facilities with great success but for the home user, it just might become too cost prohibitive that way. I did a little searching and found this site. I am not connected with it or used their products before so do your own research. (y) Nitrate Water Filters, Nitrate Removal Systems

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom