Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greenphantom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well still having a nitrate problem doing 80% pwcs every other day is there anything else I can do naturally to lower them I went and bought some hornswart I think thats what its called because someone told me these love nitrates and will naturally lower nitrates any other ways of lowering nitrates would be greatly appreciated

Why are your nitrates so high? Actually, what are your nitrate values? What stock do you have? Have you tested your tap water for nitrate?

I have a few questions some the same as the above poster. What is your stock? What size tank? What's your filtration like, can you post a full tank shot? Are you over feeding? What are your water changing schedules like? Plants will help BUT... Will not solve the issue at hand. It's better to figure out what is causing your readings. Also how high are we talking?

I had a nitrAte issue in my 76 gallon African Cichlid tank it was reading 180+!! I did 75% water changes for a week, cleaned all filters an gravel vacuumed the substrate. Still nothing 180+!!

Brought my water to my friend at the LFS and my nitrAtes were fine at 10. It was my nitrAte kit. It was junk!! New kit an my nitrAtes are always .05 or 10 maybe 20 sometimes. I never see red anyway in more ways then one lol.

If you can answer those questions we can better help you. Feel free to add all and any information you want.

Thanks,

The Con

Convict2161 said:
I have a few questions some the same as the above poster. What is your stock? What size tank? What's your filtration like, can you post a full tank shot? Are you over feeding? What are your water changing schedules like? Plants will help BUT... Will not solve the issue at hand. It's better to figure out what is causing your readings. Also how high are we talking?

I had a nitrAte issue in my 76 gallon African Cichlid tank it was reading 180+!! I did 75% water changes for a week, cleaned all filters an gravel vacuumed the substrate. Still nothing 180+!!

Brought my water to my friend at the LFS and my nitrAtes were fine at 10. It was my nitrAte kit. It was junk!! New kit an my nitrAtes are always .05 or 10 maybe 20 sometimes. I never see red anyway in more ways then one lol.

If you can answer those questions we can better help you. Feel free to add all and any information you want.

Thanks,

The Con

Man its alot to write read some of my previous posts and you will see what I am going thru also it wont let me upload anymore pics check my profile there are pics of my tank and some of its inhabitants also it is a 120 gallon tank 30 inches tall 2 foot wide 4 foot long

Man its alot to write read some of my previous posts and you will see what I am going thru also it wont let me upload anymore pics check my profile there are pics of my tank and some of its inhabitants also it is a 120 gallon tank 30 inches tall 2 foot wide 4 foot long

I just read through the thread Nitrates UGG and from what I saw there you don't have a nitrate problem really. Unless they are now higher that 20ppm which is entirely safe!

Again have you tested your tap water?

Haha ok I'll check out your posts. I feel your pain I went through it. Give me some time and I'll figure something out.

The Con

Convict2161 said:
IMO 20ppm is fine.

So why then are my fish dieing off all my cories (6) one of my killies I never had a nitrate prob till about 3 weeks ago when I sprung a leak always had readings of 0 on all tests except p.h 7.6 I think I got it down but for how long I dont know current readings as of right now nitrates below 5.0 nitrites 0 ammonia zero p.h. around 7.6 or above tap water here is REAL CLEAN I live in the greatlakes area suburbs testing zeros on every test

I cant tell you why they are dying except its not the nitrates. Other tan being dead are you seeing any odd behavior in the tank? Your ph at 7.6 is fine as long ad it's stable.

Clean water can still have nitrates in it. Particular if there are farms near the water supply which I know is common on the Canadian side of the great lakes.

FishontheRock said:
I cant tell you why they are dying except its not the nitrates. Other tan being dead are you seeing any odd behavior in the tank? Your ph at 7.6 is fine as long ad it's stable.

Clean water can still have nitrates in it. Particular if there are farms near the water supply which I know is common on the Canadian side of the great lakes.

No farms withen a couple hundred miles I live in a suberb of DETROIT

High Nitrates?

Well still having a nitrate problem doing 80% pwcs every other day is there anything else I can do naturally to lower them I went and bought some hornswart I think thats what its called because someone told me these love nitrates and will naturally lower nitrates any other ways of lowering nitrates would be greatly appreciated

Hello Green...

Nitrates in the 40 ppm range, short term, aren't going to hurt your fish. How high are your nitrates?

Get more plants in the tank the next time you do a large water change. Plants thrive in nitrate rich water.

Is your testing kit new?

B

Back
Top Bottom