Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HausMaus

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone found that they have low to no nitrates between water changes?

I have a 35lt/9gallon tank with an internal pump and filter.
Its planted with vall, water sprite, micro indo (java fern), java moss plus duckweed.
My last water change was 10 days ago and I check my water parameters every few days (been paranoid since an ammonia spike last month) and the tests come back with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates consistently.

I have 5 guppies and 4 pygmy corys (plus numerous mini ramshorn snails).

I did a PWC today just so I could vac the gravel, which wasn't that bad anyway.

Have I managed a balanced tank afterall??

Has anyone found that they have low to no nitrates between water changes?

I have a 35lt/9gallon tank with an internal pump and filter.
Its planted with vall, water sprite, micro indo (java fern), java moss plus duckweed.
My last water change was 10 days ago and I check my water parameters every few days (been paranoid since an ammonia spike last month) and the tests come back with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates consistently.

I have 5 guppies and 4 pygmy corys (plus numerous mini ramshorn snails).

I did a PWC today just so I could vac the gravel, which wasn't that bad anyway.

Have I managed a balanced tank afterall??

What test kits are you using?
How long has your tank been running?
Water sprite and duckweed are nitrate sponges, but you should still get some sort of reading if your tank is cycled and you're using a reliable test kit.

I use API liquid test kits (and yes I shake the bottles vigorously for more time than instructed).
Tank has been running since May and cycled in June. Haven't had a nitrate reading since my ammonia spike (last month).

That's a hefty bioload for a 9 gallon tank. Especially on a newly cycled tank. How long since you've been fully stocked?
Plus, what sort of internal filter are you running?

I'm wondering if the water sprite is consuming all of the nitrates.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not sure what type of pump, it came with the Heto aquarium. But the LFS said it was designed for taking goldfish loads, so I went with that knowing that I would be putting guppies in it.

My LFS dude says that all the plants I have might just be sucking up all the nitrates as fast as the bacteria are converting it. I try not to overfeed my fishies too.

You're LFS dude is probably right but It's most likely the duckweed that's consuming all the nitrate.

It's not ideal to have 0 nitrates from a plant point of view. It means that nitrogen (one of the major nutrients) is scarce if nitrogen is scarce then there is every chance other nutrients a limiting. If your submerged plants start to suffer I would consider thinning out the majority of the duckweed.

If you have 0 Nitrates then your plants and bacteria are eating it all. Congratulations. You have achieved something most of us never could in the old days. Plants do need nitrogen but what is happening now is that they are eating the ammonia before it ever turns into nitrates. They eat ammonia first, then nitrates if there is no ammonia. As long as plants look fine, don't worry about it. Enjoy your biologically balanced tank. You got it right :D Might want to take a peep at phosphate :D That can cause Algae. However, with many healthy plants you will probably not have an algae problem due to Aleopathy.

Thanks Jarrod, I had an awful first month totally new to tropical tanks and the importance of bacteria, and almost gave up completely. Its ironic now that I have a balanced tank.
Now if my fish would stop bullying each other I'd be totally relaxed! Haha!

If you have 0 Nitrates then your plants and bacteria are eating it all. Congratulations. You have achieved something most of us never could in the old days. Plants do need nitrogen but what is happening now is that they are eating the ammonia before it ever turns into nitrates. They eat ammonia first, then nitrates if there is no ammonia. As long as plants look fine, don't worry about it. Enjoy your biologically balanced tank. You got it right :D Might want to take a peep at phosphate :D That can cause Algae. However, with many healthy plants you will probably not have an algae problem due to Aleopathy.

This really only holds true under lower ph though. Aquatic plants readily feed off ammonium (nh4+) faster than thy will nitrate but most free ammonia (nh3) is left to bacteria. The amount of ammonia to ammonium present is based on the acidity of the water. PH of 6 almost all ammonium a ph of 8 almost all ammonia. Another reason why plants do better in softer water :).

"This really only holds true under lower ph though. Aquatic plants readily feed off ammonium (nh4+) faster than thy will nitrate but most free ammonia (nh3) is left to bacteria. "

Yes I do remember reading that somewhere before now that you mention it. Thanks.

The way I remember it being explained is that free ammonia and ammonium are in a ration and the PH shifts that ratio one way or the other. When you remove either form of ammonia from one side or the other then it gets back filled by the other side to maintain that ratio. Like a differential equation. Of course it would be easier for the plant if it was alll already in the ammonium for. In fresh water it usually is.

5 guppies in a 9 gallon tank is an invitation to bullying. Male guppies are masters at bullying anyway. One reason I no longer keep them. They are little pests! I hate seeing other fish bugged by them. They are such bullies that I've seen them bully each other to death.

5 guppies in a 9 gallon tank is an invitation to bullying. Male guppies are masters at bullying anyway. One reason I no longer keep them. They are little pests! I hate seeing other fish bugged by them. They are such bullies that I've seen them bully each other to death.
If he's not seeing any signs of illness and no losses And the OP is experiencing minimal nitrates his tank, the breeding instinct of guppies seems well managed in this case. Ideal ratio of guppies is at least 3 females to each male or all one sex if wanting no fry.

Agreed. I have one in my 40b and he torments my ember tetras. Currently looking for a home for the little brat.

The bully is actually a female! She's the biggest one and throws her weight around. My one active male (the other is probably still a juvi) can hardly get near her!
I had her in the hospital tank, but just put her back in, and she fought with the other large female for her top spot back in the tank. Quite a battle that I got a video of.
My problem at the moment is the lack of nutrients for my plans so I have some plant food to add now. My water sprite is going pale after 10 days.
Still learning!

The bully is actually a female! She's the biggest one and throws her weight around. My one active male (the other is probably still a juvi) can hardly get near her!
I had her in the hospital tank, but just put her back in, and she fought with the other large female for her top spot back in the tank. Quite a battle that I got a video of.
My problem at the moment is the lack of nutrients for my plans so I have some plant food to add now. My water sprite is going pale after 10 days.
Still learning!

You may need to trim some of the plants to allow light to reach the lower parts of the tank.

Also what is your fertilizer schedule? For any substrate plants I would recommend root tabs. Some plants also require micro nutrients to grow ie swords are heavy iron eaters.

I have lacterite balls in the gravel (fine) and I got some plant food (made by my LFS) and that is being dosed 2.5ml for 35lt/9 gallon twice a week.
In fact its the top fronds of the water sprite that is going pale, right where the light is. My vall is doing ok and so is the micro indo (like java fern).

Can we get a picture of your tank?
Also what light do you use? And hours they are on?
Also are you using Co2?
And what is in the liquid provided by the LFS?
And what is your ph before you turn your lights on and then at mid day?

Back
Top Bottom