Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megi-lin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I tested my water yesterday and all my nitrites are gone. Do nitrates show up right away or does it take a while? I know they are slow growers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmmm, good question. The nitrites must be going somewhere to nitrates unless you have a very heavily planted tank. In previous threads, making sure the test kit is in date and you are following the test directions to the letter (including the rapid shaking) has been noted.

Hmmm, good question. The nitrites must be going somewhere to nitrates unless you have a very heavily planted tank. In previous threads, making sure the test kit is in date and you are following the test directions to the letter (including the rapid shaking) has been noted.

It has. I am using reliable test strips for now. All within expiration.

Ah, unfortunately I've found the cardboard test strips to under read for both pool and aquarium ones that I have tried. Nowadays I have solution/vial test kits or digital meters.

I plan to get that when I have more money. I spent a ton of disability on my fish this month.

Always the way :) Sometimes I think any hobby would be cheaper than this one. I will miss tomorrow nights aquarium auction here which is probably a good thing.

I tested the API strips a few years back and ended up deciding that they were useful where if they suggested nitrites could be present, I did a proper test or took a water sample to the lfs. Nitrates and nitrites tended to under-read, ph and kh was ok'ish while I never had another gh test kit at the time.

I use tetra strips. The lfs uses the same I think. They test ammonia with a tube though. But tetra has always been accurate for me.

Back
Top Bottom