Nitrite Color Chart Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattP725

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just did a nitrite reading and it came out a very very light brownish color. I am using an Aquarium Pharamceuticals test kit. I am not sure if it is highly off the chart or just inbetween either the bluish-purple color or purple-pink color. I don't think it could be that high because it is really really transparent and the high end of the nitrite chart is pretty solid.

Im doing freshwater... but just to make you feel better...

See im having the same problem than you but a different color... That nitrite gride sucks!! :x

I was getting, couple of days ago, a gray sample... There is no grey on the chart or could it be between light blue and purple ??

Now im getting a grey-blue sample ?!?!? Not the 0ppm blue but something more greyish color.

So your not the only one having problem reading that *^&!&% chart !

I have the same kit and its pretty easy to read. Light blue is obviously where you want it to be. Do a test with some pure water and make sure it reads zero. If not, the kit may be old.

Another thing to check is:

Make sure the lighting in the room you are using is good. If you do your test near the tank with the top open, you may be experiencing some "different" light from your hood.

Make sure that when you look at the test sample, you are looking at it against a white backround to get the true color of the sample.

Just a couple things that I have found when doing my tests. Both of those things have thrown off "color" of my tests.

Mike

MattP725 said:
Only thing I can possibly think is that I used melafix yesterday... could that throw the reading off?

Possibly. That would be a good question for Aquarium Pharmaceuticals.

Back
Top Bottom