Nitrite Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reddolly12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I don't know if anyone can help me I'm having a problem with my marine tank my nitrites have been 5 for almost 2 weeks despite numerous water changes regular addition of prime and a bottle of ATM colony none of which have lowered it at all can anyone give me any advice

The system has been setup for around 7 weeks, there is 10.8Kg of rock, the volume of the tank is 64 litres, however because of the rock it's around 55 litres. I fed every day for a while, however was advised to stop feeding the system by a pet store.

Hi I don't know if anyone can help me I'm having a problem with my marine tank my nitrites have been 5 for almost 2 weeks despite numerous water changes regular addition of prime and a bottle of ATM colony none of which have lowered it at all can anyone give me any advice

what is in this tank as for stock , I would place them in a QT tank because
If your seeing Nitrite it doesn't sound like you cycled ,
when you started up what did you use for a ammonia source,additives are a waist of money its not going to give you a instant cycle like it says, these additives add more problems than good IMO
if it were me I'd throw in a deli shrimp and restart the cycle , once the cycle is finished do a large water change , this should resolve your issue
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

Either way, I agree with the fish store about feeding daily. If there is an issue in the water column, adding more food to be put into the nitrate cycle isn't going to solve anything and simply make matters worse.

Was the tank cycled?

He stock in the tank are a green chromosome, blood red fire shrimp and two clownfish.

I was told to add GEN-md, ATM colony. I was told to add food to the tank for the first week without any fish in, after that week, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates were at zero. Then I added the clownfish.

Originally, when the tank crashed it killed two of my other fish, so I removed the remaining fish and placed them in a quarantine tank. The pet store advised against this. Recently I have had to add the fish back to the tank as I dictionary became worse in the quarantine tank. If I had of originally left the fish in the tank after the crash, they would have been dead within an hour.

I was told to add GEN-md, ATM colony. I was told to add food to the tank for the first week without any fish in, after that week, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates were at zero.

when you first did this did you ever see a spike of 4ppm before seeing things go to 0ppm
I'm thinking you never even had a spike that would have kick started the cycle .
Remember the test kit is needed to see the spike at the beginning 4ppm than again at the end of cycle to see when the nitrites and ammonia are are at 0ppm

I'm still thinking that this tank never cycled correctly everything you say leads to that
I do understand you went with what the pet shop told you you followed what you were told . the food alone didn't give you a spike big enough to start a proper cycle , this is why we always advise to use a deli shrimp this will always give you that spike your looking for to start a cycle, see link
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice
I would bite the bullet remove all the stock put in qt and run a new cycle the correct way
remember your stock is in Qt you will need to do daily water changes to keep ammonia levels down
once you do this you should resolve your issue you can reintroduce your stock and let you move on and enjoy your tank rather than stress out

I removed the remaining fish and placed them in a quarantine tank. The pet store advised against this.

what I get from this is they were trying to get you to do a fish in cycle , yes they can be done but very hard on the fish , The fish less cycle is more thorough with the introduction of the shrimp it will produce ammonia and nitrite spike 4ppm than after the beneficial bacteria forms the ammonia and nitrites will be consumed by the bb bringing you to 0ppm and your cycle is complete , your bb will become stronger as your tank matures. your fish will be happy and your tank will thrive,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom