Nitrite/Nitrate levels wont go down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac11

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my fresh water 29 gal tank is in the middle of a cycle and I convert 4ppm of Ammonia in 24 hours, but my nitrite levels and nitrate levels are off the chart. I performed a 45% water change yesterday to bring them down but It didnt help. So today I did a 75% water change and the levels are still sky high!

Is this normal during a cycle?

Personally I don't worry too much about nitrAte levels, they will be dealt with before adding fish with a huge water change to bring them down to below 20ppm.
However, I do water change if the nitrite levels are off the scale and continue to water change until I can get a high but distinctly readable colour on the chart ( about 0.5 - 2ppm). I have read that too high a nitrite level will impede the multiplication of nitrite/nitrate bacteria.
Keep feeding the ammonia but only to about 2ppm, no point in over producing nitrite until the bacteria are working well.

Your nitrAtes will never go down of their own accord. When your fishless cycle is complete you will perform the largest water change possible. From then out, nitrAtes are always removed via water changes.

Once you see nitrItes in your fishless cycle, it's easier to dose 2ppm ammonia every 3-4 days and they won't build up so high.

okay im only gonna dose it with a smaller amount of ammonia. But I thought the 70% water change i did would bring the nitrites down a little atleast. So one day are my nitrites just gonna be gone?

Back
Top Bottom