Nitrite off the chart.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy, my nitrite was off the chart when I tested tonight, here are my readings: 7.4, 0, over 5.0, 10, temp is at 78. It's an empty 29 gallon. Would a good old fashioned water change take care of my high nitrites? Thanks.

No, this means your tank hasent even cycled yet! Nitrites are very toxic, you need to cycle the tank!

If it was "cycled" you might have caused a mini cycle...

did you change anything? A Filter or move stuff around or a heavy Vacuum cleaning. If it was cycled something disrupted the BB in the tank. Since it was empty what were you using to feed the bacteria? PWC will bring it down but it good to try to figure out why?

Pton46 said:
If it was "cycled" you might have caused a mini cycle...

did you change anything? A Filter or move stuff around or a heavy Vacuum cleaning. If it was cycled something disrupted the BB in the tank. Since it was empty what were you using to feed the bacteria? PWC will bring it down but it good to try to figure out why?

Two weeks ago, I made a bonehead move and changed ALL of my filter media, so that was my mistake. Recently I replaced my gravel with sand but I did leave some gravel in the tank. Were seats are a water change day around here, so i'll do a big one after work today.

Two weeks ago, I made a bonehead move and changed ALL of my filter media, so that was my mistake. Recently I replaced my gravel with sand but I did leave some gravel in the tank. Were seats are a water change day around here, so i'll do a big one after work today.
Yeah, sounds like you are in another cycle. Good luck with the water change!

Tetra1990 said:

Well there's your problem! You'll have to keep a close eye on everything until the bacteria have multiplied again.

Typically when there are big swings like that it's something you did to mess up the balance of the Beneficial Bacteria. It is always good to Test more often than usual when you make any changes....Like rearranging stuff, adding stock or changing or Cleaning Filter Media. Unfortunately it is a live and Learn type thing in which you find out after.....Good luck

Typically when there are big swings like that it's something you did to mess up the balance of the Beneficial Bacteria. It is always good to Test more often than usual when you make any changes....Like rearranging stuff, adding stock or changing or Cleaning Filter Media. Unfortunately it is a live and Learn type thing in which you find out after.....Good luck
I learned about cycling too late, and my guppies all died. It really is live and learn, and I hope he gets through this safely!

Back
Top Bottom