Nitrite problem. Need a question answered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcdrivertim

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My first post! Have been a "lurker". My issue is I got a Nitrite spike, a pretty good size one out of the blue. It seems to hover around 2 to 5ppm. I have done numerous water changes anywhere from 20 to 40%. I add Prime. I even added some Stability, not until the last 2 days though. Nothing. My filtration is an Aqueon 36, Fluval 50-70 and a sponge filter. Tank has been running over 6 weeks. Ammonia is zero, pH regular runs at 7.6. pH high. Sometimes it runs over 8. Nitrate is about 20ppm. I have a moss ball, very very little anacris plant, 2 honey Gouramis, 1 Pearl Gouramis, 1" Albino Catfish, 1 Blue Ram Cichlids, Redline shark. The tank size is 36 gallon bow front. Light is LED. Top is uncovered to allow heat release. No airborne chemicals.

Ok experts, hit me.

Thank you all!

Check the source water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. It is possible that ammonia is present in the source water. This may be a case where the filter is capable of processing the ammonia but not quite there with the nitrites.
A few years back I had 1.0 ppm ammonia in my tap water. I usually kept water changes around 25-30% to minimize the introduction of ammonia but one time I forgot and did a 75% change. Tested the following day and found a trace of ammonia and 1-2 ppm nitrite. The nitrite eventually reached zero the next day.

Check the source water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. It is possible that ammonia is present in the source water. This may be a case where the filter is capable of processing the ammonia but not quite there with the nitrites.
A few years back I had 1.0 ppm ammonia in my tap water. I usually kept water changes around 25-30% to minimize the introduction of ammonia but one time I forgot and did a 75% change. Tested the following day and found a trace of ammonia and 1-2 ppm nitrite. The nitrite eventually reached zero the next day.

Tap ammonia is zero. How long did it take to get to zero Nitrites? It barely gets any lighter a few hours after a WC. Should I start using Stability for 7 days, as directed by Sea Chem?

Doesn't sound like a big emergency, new tanks often have spikes. The growing bacteria need nitrates, nitrite and ammonia to feed on. The 50% WC might be a little much, 20% probably better.
Probably not the best idea to use chemicals other than dechlor. To control the spikes as they will just delay the cycling process.
You mentioned fluval filtration being used, great filters, use them on my display tank. Don't clean them out every week. Let them gunk up. Squeeze the filter sponge out in a bucket of used tank water once every 3 weeks or so. Bacteria will grow faster and stabilize in the filter that way. With multiple filters, alternate the cleanings. One filter one week, the other the next.
Feed sparingly and watch your fish for signs of stress. Especially watch your blue ram cichlid. They are very sensitive to bad water conditions. If the ram is fine your tank is probably alright too.
Don't depend too much on water testing kits. In a few weeks your tank will likely level out and you can relax. Good luck.

Good morning! I doubled checked and everyone is there. I took a male guppy and returned it. There was only one dead Guppy about 10 days or so go. He was taken out immediately. All fish seem to be doing fine. I just fed and everyone was there and sucking down their food. Lol I don't want to do another WC to keep changing the pH and upset the other chemicals. I use Stability and Prime and Aquarium salt. I did that before the water change. Do I need to add it again? The Ram Cichlids seem to look fine. They run right up to eat. Most fish eat from my fingers. I leave the filters alone too. I know it's a no no. Any other things I can watch for? BTW, thank you very much for the help. Tim

Keep dosing prime daily even if you don't do water changes, if you have even 0.25ammonia or nitrites they are toxic. As long as ammonia and nitrites are below 1ppm prime will detoxify them, they will still show up in testing but are harmless.

Keep dosing prime daily even if you don't do water changes, if you have even 0.25ammonia or nitrites they are toxic. As long as ammonia and nitrites are below 1ppm prime will detoxify them, they will still show up in testing but are harmless.

Ammonia has always been 0. I will go add Prime right now. Also, will add every morning.

Back
Top Bottom