nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigben2057

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What dose this color mean as it obviously dose not match any of them? I tested my cycling tank it is blue and then i tested my other tank and it is this strange color?

Are you sure it's the right test? Looks more like some nitrAtes. I would perform the test again. How are your fish doing?

Was the tube cleaned well before testing. That's not a good color especially it's. It even on the chart.

I only have a nitrite and ammonia test kit and used the nitrite test the past 3 days and got the same reading the fish seam fine even the gsp which would have most likely died as he should be very sensitive to nitrites. Ammonia is zero so I have no clue why it turns that color. It works fine and turns blue in the other tank?

If that was your TRUE Nitrite reading I think your tank mates would be showing some signs of stress and even death. Can you rinse the tube really well and redo the test.

I believe something may have contaminated the test tube. That CAN'T be the true readings if all your fish are fine and eating etc... I'd try it again.

I would make sure then that the test tube is clean. Rinse with ro/di water and roll up a paper towel and get the inside clean and dry. Only other thing I can think of is that the test is old. Grasping at straws here.

spoonman said:
I would make sure then that the test tube is clean. Rinse with ro/di water and roll up a paper towel and get the inside clean and dry. Only other thing I can think of is that the test is old. Grasping at straws here.

x10000000 man that was scary!! lol we think alike.

I did buy it from pet-pros which is not really a fish store more of a dog store so it very well could be old as it has no expiration date on it. they copyright date is 06 and my ammonia test i bought from petco have an 08 copyright and exp date so it might very well be very old? I will try again in a few minutes. if they were really high i assume my puffer would have turned black and been dead.

bigben2057 said:
I did buy it from pet-pros which is not really a fish store more of a dog store so it very well could be old as it has no expiration date on it. they copyright date is 06 and my ammonia test i bought from petco have an 08 copyright and exp date so it might very well be very old? I will try again in a few minutes. if they were really high i assume my puffer would have turned black and been dead.

Is it an API? Also yeah with those colors something would be dead. Try again but yeah it could be very old.

Yes its an APi it says copyright aquarium pharm... on the old one and on the new API's i bought(Came in an Api box) it looks like the company changed names for copyrights it says mars fish-care north America. Test again same result.

bigben2057 said:
Yes its an APi it says copyright aquarium pharm... on the old one and on the new API's i bought(Came in an Api box) it looks like the company changed names for copyrights it says mars fish-care north America. Test again same result.

I'm gonna say it's old. Again I your fish are done those results can't be true. Can you pick up a new test tomorrow? It should be light blue(you probably already know that)

I'd buy a new one.

I decided to do a major water change with the results being that my test showed the highest possible lvl. I think I was reading the other color because it was so high. I removed my puffer into my tank that has about finished cycling with very low lvl of nh3.

bigben2057 said:
I decided to do a major water change with the results being that my test showed the highest possible lvl. I think I was reading the other color because it was so high. I removed my puffer into my tank that has about finished cycling with very low lvl of nh3.

Did you get a nitrite kit?

Ha that is nuts, totally old or The store or someone mixed it up somehow. Btw it look more like a high level PH test to me

cerulean_blue said:
Ha that is nuts, totally old or The store or someone mixed it up somehow. Btw it look more like a high level PH test to me

I was thinking that also. Something is way off.

Not yet but i will try to pick one up tomorrow I did not make it to the store just yet. I was thinking that maybe the test is ok but the levels in the tank were more than 5ppm? I know i probably would have killed the puffer but i don't know. I tested tap water and it turns blue my new tank and it turns blue. I removed the tank anyways that had the problem and moved the fish a little sooner as i was unsure of the level. I did do a major water change and got 5ppm after so i don't know its really odd.

bigben2057 said:
Not yet but i will try to pick one up tomorrow I did not make it to the store just yet. I was thinking that maybe the test is ok but the levels in the tank were more than 5ppm? I know i probably would have killed the puffer but i don't know. I tested tap water and it turns blue my new tank and it turns blue. I removed the tank anyways that had the problem and moved the fish a little sooner as i was unsure of the level. I did do a major water change and got 5ppm after so i don't know its really odd.

Yeah sounds really odd. I'm so curious to know what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom